Travelling to Wilsons/Wallington/SGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

DIY Mum3

Travelling to Wilsons/Wallington/SGS

Post by DIY Mum3 »

Can anyone advise on the journey from Southfields/Earlsfields to the boy's grammars in Sutton, is it a feasible journey? Any parents whose boys already make the journey, has the daily commute been manageable?
tiffinboys

Re: Travelling to Wilsons/Wallington/SGS

Post by tiffinboys »

From Wimbledon, you could take train to Sutton - for Sutton Grammar.

From Earlsfield take train to Clapham junction, then to Wallington - for Wallington Grammar.

Wilson's is tricky. From Wallington, walk towards Woodcote Road, then take bus to Wilson's. or take tram from Wimbledon to Waddon Marsh (I am not sure this is correct name of stop, but there is tram station) and then again bus to Wilson's.
Please support Tiffin School’s Gym Appeal. Visit school’s website to donate.
afruitie

Post by afruitie »

For Wilson's take train from Clapham Junction to Waddon and you can either walk (i think its about 10 mins) or take a bus.
DIY Mum3

Post by DIY Mum3 »

Thanks for the updates. The journey doesn't appear to be that long but is a little, "bitty," from a tube station to a train station and then changing trains again - plenty of opportunity for getting lost on the wrong platform! Not sure why but I would have preferred a bus journey to a train. Probably worth doing the journey in the morning a couple of times to see how it would actually be before deciding.
notapushyparent

Post by notapushyparent »

Why on earth would you put your son through that everyday? perhaps you could move a bit closer? or look a little closer to home?
DIY Mum3

Post by DIY Mum3 »

Why would I consider it? Because the journey from first station to last is around 40-45 minutes which isn't unreasonable for a child to travel to secondary school. However, as I've said previously, the number of changes isn't ideal and definitely something to have to consider. Longer term, we are also fortunate that we can consider moving closer to the school if the child gets offered a place.
forwhatitsworth

Post by forwhatitsworth »

notapushyparent wrote:Why on earth would you put your son through that everyday? perhaps you could move a bit closer? or look a little closer to home?
My son has a journey of about 45 minutes to Wilsons, involving two trains and a bus. He tells me it is the best part of his day, since he hooks up with lots of other Wilsons kids en route and they clearly have a ball. His train mates are from different year groups and different houses. If he's happy, so I am.
panicattack

Post by panicattack »

From Wimbledon, it's about 35 mins to Wilson's by tram/bus and same to WGS. SGS by First Cap Connect about 20 mins and a 10 minute walk.
mordenmum

Post by mordenmum »

anybody ever thought of "carpooling" a minicab company 5 mornings a week. Could be quite decent divided by 3 boys, and cut the journey time/hassle in the morning. Nighttime, they can slum it like the rest of us, but i know every minute in the mornings is golddust in our house.
ThreeKids

Post by ThreeKids »

forwhatitsworth wrote:My son has a journey of about 45 minutes to Wilsons, involving two trains and a bus. He tells me it is the best part of his day, since he hooks up with lots of other Wilsons kids en route and they clearly have a ball. His train mates are from different year groups and different houses. If he's happy, so I am.
This^^^

It may seem like a long way, and I know there are degrees, but my son also has a 45 min journey each way. He whinges occasionally, but when the chips are down, for example if I'm at the school or nearby and can offer a lift home, it is not exactly welcomed with glee. Indeed there has been an occasion when we parted at the school gate and he went by train and I drove. I'm sure if it had been raining I would have had a companion, but clearly I am not nearly as much fun as his mates, or the kids from other schools he hooks up with. There appears to be quite a little community with all ages coming together.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now