Can any home-edders tell me how they teach 'area'?

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

fatbananas

Can any home-edders tell me how they teach 'area'?

Post by fatbananas »

For various reasons, I've decided it's going to be better to teach my DC maths concepts, rather than leave it to the school.

I would like to make 'area' fun, with lots of practical activities! Can any home-edders tell me how they taught this concept?

Thanks a lot!
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
sherry_d

Re: Can any home-edders tell me how they teach 'area'?

Post by sherry_d »

I user Conquer Maths and Galore Park Maths books mainly

Conquer Maths is for reception right up to A level. It starts with a short video explanation and that helps the child to understand the concept. They do have a 14 day trial.

MEP has a primary section too and the maths is more puzzle like. I like it for maths extension if you just aren't drilling for exams. Its free here http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects ... efault.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Galore Park is pretty good with problem solving or rather more wordy problems. The books are much more expensive because you need to buy an answer book separately. The books are for 7+ to 13+
Impossible is Nothing.
mystery

Post by mystery »

They sound like good recommendations.

How old is he, and has he done any area at all? If not, you could start with squared paper - squares 1cm by 1cm probably the best.

Then draw some squares and rectangles and get him to count up the squares to find the area - explain that area is the amount of paper surface that the shape takes up and that a convenient way of measuring this is is in squares 1cm by 1cm.

Then when he has done a few, explain that he has now measured the area in square centimetres (NOT centimetres squared as a lot of people like to say, including maths teachers). Ask him if there is a quicker way than counting the squares ...... hopefully he'll have already done it a quicker way - e.g. 6 x 8, or 10 x 10 or whatever.

Then show him that the multiplication he has done is actually the same as length x height of the rectangle.

Move on from there with some questions in maths books which build up from that point.

Then do some practical things in the house - e.g. amount of paint needed to cover a wall etc etc.

Is that what you were meaning or have I started off at too low a level?
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Thank you both for those tips. I shall follow them.

You didn't start at too low a level, Mystery. I'm not whether he's done area before (he's 8 ) - he seems unsure himself! But I notice it comes up a lot in the year 4 10 min tests and I want to help him. He had very patchy teaching last year and I notice that 2 of his year 4 teachers are pregnant. If he ends up having one of those for maths, we're proverbially stuffed!
Last edited by fatbananas on Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

How old is your son?

If you are after practical hands on maths, try googling Montessori Math and the age of your child. I have seen some amazing blogs with amazing ideas but honestly I am rather lazy to take that appoach :oops:
Impossible is Nothing.