SHS uniform

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Orson

SHS uniform

Post by Orson »

What does one do when one's DD is too petite for the SHS uniform, especially the skirt? :roll:
The smallest is far too big and even seamstresses say there's nothing they can do with it.
Are we obliged to purchase from Trutex?
capers123

Re: SHS uniform

Post by capers123 »

Orson wrote:What does one do when one's DD is too petite for the SHS uniform, especially the skirt? :roll:
The smallest is far too big and even seamstresses say there's nothing they can do with it.
Are we obliged to purchase from Trutex?
I remember a trip to John Lewis @ Cribbs. There used to be another design you could buy there that was acceptable & suitable for smaller girls, but I have no details.

I thought it was just the embroidered stuff & blouses that had to come from Trutex.
Capers
relievedit'sallover

Post by relievedit'sallover »

I'm in the same position having been to Trutex and finding the pencil skirts were not waist adjustable for my very small and slim DD, nightmare!

I'm intending to go to John Lewis as Capers suggested (will also try M&S) as they seem to have a design (on the school uniform list) which is adjustable and is in the Harrow Grey but having looked online just now can't see it...

Might see you in the schoolwear department!
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Orson wrote:The smallest is far too big and even seamstresses say there's nothing they can do with it.
Take it apart (very carefully - good seam-ripper needed), make up pattern from those parts, decrease pattern by however much needed, try out new pattern in cheap material to check, sew original back according to new pattern.

Honestly - couldn't be simpler :lol. Didn't you do needlework / textiles at school?

John Lewis sell very good sewing machines (we got an own brand in the sale last year - DD1 has inherited our old one).
Capers
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Just to muddy the waters a bit from afar...

My late mother was from Painswick and attended Stroud High School in the 1930's. I have a couple of her school photos and, from the slightly motley collection of dresses that the girls are wearing, would hazard a guess that at that time a few bits of their uniform were (possibly had to be) home-made.
Last edited by ToadMum on Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Orson

Post by Orson »

:oops:
Last edited by Orson on Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

:shock:
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
pixiequeen

Post by pixiequeen »

The pencil skirt is very easy to alter - take it in all the way down both sides so you don't spoil the zip and the split up the back. Doesn't matter if you botch the waistband a bit because they wear their shirts untucked. (Yes I do have a sewing machine and practice altering clothes but it was pretty simple, honest!)

Doesn't the pleated skirt fit though, Orson? I thought it was adjustable and came in smaller sizes.
FluffyCat

Post by FluffyCat »

Apparently M&S have something suitable (am assured by DD's friend that at least 3 of them will be wearing M&S version of straight/pencil skirt due to having small waists).

Luckily DD was fat enough (having 22" waist) for required skirt for her new school (it has button elastic too!)
FluffyCat

Post by FluffyCat »

Also trutex shop (are we allowed to say schooluniformshop.co.uk?) online have straight skirt in harrow grey if your DD is as fat as mine :lol:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now