GL Assessment VR Pack 2 - Paper 8 Query

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
DIY Mum3

GL Assessment VR Pack 2 - Paper 8 Query

Post by DIY Mum3 »

Can anyone help with question 16 please?

rice [rich] reach

sung [?] endure

When the words are not the same length, I've always assumed you have to count the letters from the beginning of the word e.g. the 'c' in rich could be from either:
first word - third letter (in rice)
second word - fourth letter (in reach)

However, the answer is 'sure' which means it's taken the fifth letter from the second word, not the fourth letter as I'd assumed it would.

Can anyone explain this?

Thanks
Reading Mum

Re: GL Assessment VR Pack 2 - Paper 8 Query

Post by Reading Mum »

I just went for 1st 2 letters fom first word and last 2 from second word
DIY Mum3

Post by DIY Mum3 »

But then it hasn't taken the fourth letter as it did when it made the first word?! :?

Not sure if I'm overcomplicating something here but I thought the pattern had to follow exactly how the first word was made?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Reading Mum wrote:I just went for 1st 2 letters fom first word and last 2 from second word
DIY Mum3 wrote:But then it hasn't taken the fourth letter as it did when it made the first word?! :?

Not sure if I'm overcomplicating something here but I thought the pattern had to follow exactly how the first word was made?
But the same rule is being applied in each case, as Reading Mum said:

rice [rich] reach

sung [sure] endure
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
DIY Mum3

Post by DIY Mum3 »

But the IPS method and technique book says that you need to look at where each letter came from and apply this to the second line.

So the third letter 'C' came from either the first word third letter in RICE (which would give an 'n' from the word SUNG) or it came from the second word fourth letter in REACH (which would give a 'u from the word ENDURE.)

I've taught my daughter to work these out as the book says but in this case it gives completely the wrong answer as the words in the second line are different lengths to the first line!!
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

unfortunately that is applying an IPS rule to a GL assessment question and finding a poor fit. Maybe IPS never vary the word length but GL obviously do
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Reading Mum, our posts have obviously crossed!

If the IPS "rules" must apply to GL Assessment questions, the options would appear to be:

- the GL composer had a sunspot and the answer should have been "sunr"
- ditto, but the answer should have been "suur".
- assuming that the question does require the answer to be a real word in the English language ("sunr" doesn't look likely in anithing but I would be happy to accept that someone's mother tongue has "suur" in it), the error lies in the words s/he chose as the base.
:?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now