Recommended reading

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Mummyof2

Recommended reading

Post by Mummyof2 »

A while ago I found a recommended reading list on here for Verbal Reasoning preparation, can someone point in the right direction to find it again, I'm going round in circles trying to find it, lol!

Many thanks x
rainbow1

Re: Recommended reading

Post by rainbow1 »

Sorry, I don't remember seeing a reading list on the Forum. Just an idea though...my boy started reading books but rarely finished them, as he'd be playing outside for as long as possible before bedtime. But recently I bought him one of those electronic reading gadgets ( am I allowed to say Kindle?!) He takes it everywhere with him, whereas books used to stay in the bedroom. He's just starting his 6th book (Trash by Andy Mulligan) and hes only had it for four weeks! My only rule is that he has to finish the last book before I download a new one,then he has the fun of searching for a new book online. For a boy who loves his gadgets, this has been a success.
kittykat92

Post by kittykat92 »

Thats a brilliant idea Rainbow1!!

I don't remember a reading list as such but any Enid Blyton books (old editions if poss) or Roald Dalh books will help. Make sure you read with your child though or tell them to highlight or circle a word. Kids can often get the gist of a passage in a book from other words even if they do not know the meaning of an individual word and remember they need to know the meaning of a word as it stands alone in VR.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

there are the word lists for VR:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/assets ... tricia.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

( am I allowed to say Kindle?!)
yes :D
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

Have to say my ds has only started to read whole books since being given an e reader I think it helps to not see how big the book is and DS likes to make the font quite big.

In the 6 months he has had it -he has read every book available written by Robert Muchamore, Jimmy Coates series by Joe Craig, Crusade and Secrets of the Fearless by Elizabeth Laird, The Hunger games by Suzanne Collins, all the books by David Walliams and is now working through the Alex Rider series by Anthony Horowitz. He is now happier to sit and read a real book now as well.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

DS likes to make the font quite big.
a marvellous innovation! I left my glasses at my sister's house ( she's 200 miles away) and LOVED the fact that I could carry on reading the novel I was half way through - by increasing the font to silly size!

:D
kittykat92

Post by kittykat92 »

I am always nagging my DD to read but she never finishes a book........maybe the Kindle is the way forward :D
Storm

Post by Storm »

At the top of the English Topic there is a list of reading material suggested by members.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =1&t=17436" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sorry not sure if the link has worked... probably quicker just to go to the English Topic! :lol:
Storm

Post by Storm »

Ok it worked!