Maintaining the 11 plus on Wirral

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

grahamkida

Maintaining the 11 plus on Wirral

Post by grahamkida »

Hi, I am a parent of three children. One who past the test, one who failed and one who would be due to sit the test in 4 years time. So it is fair to say I come from an position of experience and balance.

My growing deep conclusion is that the eleven plus process for selective schooling on Wirral is wrong. And whilst I understand that all parents want to do what's best for their child. This doesn't stop the process from still being wrong. Wrong to assume that a well tutored child has any more potential than one that is not. Wrong to pitch child against child, potentially separating friend from friend, brother from sister, rich from poor. Wrong to label a child a success or a failure when so young. Wrong to put a child under this pressure in the carefree years of their lives.

I want the happiest childhood experience for my youngest child - and for all our children. The situation will never change so long as those who have, get to choose what they can keep. The cruel system will always be maintained. The joy of my daughters happiness for getting into that school with her friends was no consolation to the tears of my son terrified about walking into a secondary school on the first day alone. Split from all friends and told (in writing) he was a failure.

Obviously it's crazy posting my views on this forum. But hopefully it will bring some support for those with a nagging doubt and cushion those children who are not successful that the system on Wirral is just wrong.

Graham - Greasby.
HopefulDen

Re: Maintaining the 11 plus on Wirral

Post by HopefulDen »

I'm torn on this one-my son is bright but sensitive so it's difficult to be strict over the preparation. My take on this is any child who responds to the preparation has the abilty to go to a selective schoo,l those who don't would struggle anyway and I'm not sure yet but this may be my son this year.
I agree with you to an extent but the 11+ is an ideal for children like mine who live in an area, Birkenhead, where the school choices for them are frankly poor. However idealistic you want to be the bottom line is if you go to a good selective school in an area with a population in the higher socio economic bracket then you will have broarder leaning opportunities and therefore better life chances. Unfortunately we don't live in a world where all schools are of equal excellent quality, where you went to school has no bearing on your future life prospects (only got to look at the leaders of the country to know this is true) and wealth doesn't give you educational advantages that others can't access. Until this is a reality, I am grateful for the opportunities the 11+ gives young people to get out of this trap.
Denise J