BMAT and UKCAT

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
bromley mum

BMAT and UKCAT

Post by bromley mum »

Any personal recommendation for books which can be used to prepare for the above exams. All tips gratefully received! Many thanks.
hermanmunster

Re: BMAT and UKCAT

Post by hermanmunster »

How to Master the UKCAT: Over 700 Practice Questions for the United Kingdom Clinical Aptitude Test: Over 750 Practice Questions for the United Kingdom Clinical Aptitude Test: 3 (Elite Students Series) [Paperback]
I got the above one for DS to look at when thinking about UKCAT - seemed to be a popular local volume. he sensibly changed his mind so the book has gone to the neighbouring lad who hasn't seen the light yet :oops:

DH and I with over 50 years in medicine between us could not make head nor tail of some of the stuff. Clearly we have been through medical school and postgrad exams under false pretences. :lol: :mrgreen:

PS think it is OK as teenagers thing differently.

PPS re BMAT - I think the bit that fooled those doing lots of science was the essay writing bit - practice practice practice!
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

This

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalo ... CEYQ8wIwAA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

for BMAT. You can probably find it for less on ebay. DD worked through it and found it quite good for the first two sections, and there were also some useful tips for the essay section. As Herman says, this is the part that trips up a lot of science-focused students so it's a good idea to run through a few practice essays - only one side of A4 in half an hour so it's a case of quality over quantity. :wink:
Marylou
bromley mum

Post by bromley mum »

Thank you both. At first DD was adamant she wasn't going to do medicine. DH is a doc and she didn't want people to think that she had been forced into Medicine by parents. Which she hasn't. DH did his best to put her off! From not wanting to be a medic she has now gone to the other extreme and has it all mapped out; qualify, work few years, then join MSF and go abroad for few years and then back here. So, now we are trying to do as much research as we can. DH qualified many, many moons ago and it's all changed. Help! She is doing Eng Lit and Classic Civ so hopefully that will help her in essay writing.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Eng Lit and Class Civ are great subjects to be doing for the essay etc (also general knowledge and sanity). Trouble I find with the BMAT is that you have to decide on the Unis before you take the test so a bad BMAT may waste a few slots... happened with a few kids I knew.

Good luck - and well done on DH trying !!
Alex

Post by Alex »

DD and friends would recommend "Get into Medical School - 600 UKCAT Practice Questions" ISBN-10: 1905812094 | ISBN-13: 978-1905812097
ca88

Post by ca88 »

Hey,

I'm researching the UKCAT as part of my studies and came across this website, you might find it helpful:

Advertising removed by a moderator

I hope it helps!

Good Luck!

Charlotte
bromley mum

Post by bromley mum »

Thank you. I shall pass it onto DD.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now