Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
lottie78

School preference form..help!!

Post by lottie78 »

Hi,
At risk of sounding dim here!!
Can anyone tell me how it works.
I know you put schools in order of preference but how does the allocation work.
For instance if you put kechb, kefw,kea....
If Ds doesn't get pass mark for ch, but does for fw or Aston . Will dcs with a lower score get preference at fw or Aston if they put it as first choice.. Sorry if this isn't clear! I'm confused too :D
Lottie
hermanmunster

Re: School preference form..help!!

Post by hermanmunster »

lottie78 wrote:Hi,
At risk of sounding dim here!!
Can anyone tell me how it works.
I know you put schools in order of preference but how does the allocation work.
For instance if you put kechb, kefw,kea....
If Ds doesn't get pass mark for ch, but does for fw or Aston . Will dcs with a lower score get preference at fw or Aston if they put it as first choice.. Sorry if this isn't clear! I'm confused too :D
Lottie
Hi Lottie - don't worry, before long you will be an expert!!

The way it goes is:
If you put CH and your DS does not get score for here then FW automatically becomes his first choice and he will be considered equally against all those who have put it on the form regardless of what order they put the schools in, then if he doesn't get place at FW the same thing hapens for Aston..
sss

Post by sss »

To lottie78
I think it must also be mentioned that there is little point in placing FW below KEA on the preference form as FW, historically, has always had a higher 'pass mark'- 223 as opposed to 217 in 2012. This is unlikely to be reversed in the foreseeable future.
Regards
sss
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

sss wrote:To lottie78
I think it must also be mentioned that there is little point in placing FW below KEA on the preference form as FW, historically, has always had a higher 'pass mark'- 223 as opposed to 217 in 2012. This is unlikely to be reversed in the foreseeable future.
Regards
sss
Quite right - they are in order of preference and no point in wasting a slot
Paramjeet

Post by Paramjeet »

List the schools in the order that you want your child to go to.
I think from memory, selective schools themselves do not the order in which the parent has placed them on the form.
One headmaster relayed the story of a boy not gaining a place at a grammar school despite having scored the qualifying mark; simply down to placing the school lower down on the form that others.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Paramjeet wrote: One headmaster relayed the story of a boy not gaining a place at a grammar school despite having scored the qualifying mark; simply down to placing the school lower down on the form that others.
This can certainly happen. You are given a place at the first school on your list for which you are eligible so if that school is a non selective and you live in distance / have religious requirements then that will be the place you are offered and no notice will be taken of the schools below that even if you have passed the exams.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now