Another daft question.......

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

nicolajane1971

Another daft question.......

Post by nicolajane1971 »

Morning,

Does anyone know whether they are allowed to write on the actual test paper?

DS is particularly fond of defacing his test papers at every opportunity, a potential problem me thinks.
hermanmunster

Re: Another daft question.......

Post by hermanmunster »

nicolajane1971 wrote:Morning,

Does anyone know whether they are allowed to write on the actual test paper?

DS is particularly fond of defacing his test papers at every opportunity, a potential problem me thinks.
Not sure for Birmingham - some one will know.

However one things is quite important about all exams is following the instructions from the invigilators - which of course may change from year to year!
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

Hello

Your question is not daft :D

Candidates write the answers on the booklet and any working out is to be done in the question booklet too. The sample paper suggests that this will continue to be the case this year.

Of course, as HM points out, you should also tell your child that he must listen carefully to any instructions at the beginning just in case they change anything.

UmSusu
UmSusu
Paramjeet

Post by Paramjeet »

aren't most papers marked using a computer nowadays?
nicolajane1971

Post by nicolajane1971 »

I'm not sure Paramjeet, It would appear maybe not - have spoken with the Birmingham Consortium who have confirmed that all workings out will be done on the right hand side of the paper, thanks for that Umsusu.

Now, how to persuade DS to work out the important stuff on paper and not in his head, that is the question!
reeyah

Post by reeyah »

I was told they are marked twice, once by man and once by machine :lol: to reduce the margin of error. Apparently the most the score can ever change after a remark is only one point. The system is very accurate ( so they say ).
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

I'd bet it won't have encountered ds's handwriting though! I guess I'd better add filling in the boxes neatly to the list of things to go over in the next 3 and a half weeks.
nicolajane1971

Post by nicolajane1971 »

I'm not sure there's any more room on the list, might be more appropriate now to turn to the power of prayer, am thinking it might get better results!!
doodles

Post by doodles »

nicolajane1971 wrote:I'm not sure there's any more room on the list, might be more appropriate now to turn to the power of prayer, am thinking it might get better results!!

Sorry, just popped over from Kent and this made me laugh :lol: :lol: :lol:

Think we may be getting beyond even divine intervention and need a complete review of the Kent selection process and a new system of allocating places at super selective grammar schools on the basis of being a "nice boy" / "boys who look cute 'cos they still suck their thumb"!! All in 3 1/2 weeks - no problem :lol: :lol:

Good luck everyone.
ChessDadPlus

Post by ChessDadPlus »

It's a good question, as one would assume that writing down your working out say in the instance of a maths paper might help the examiner understanding your approach to formulating the answer.

I'm an advocate of formulation, as that shows aspects of logic, rational reasoning and diligence

I hate questions that just require an answer without working out as those don't reward or give credit to the thinking process
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now