St.Josephs vs Crossfields

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Pratz

St.Josephs vs Crossfields

Post by Pratz »

Hi,

My DS is in Y5 and i am planning to move him to independent school in Reading in September. I have 2 choices St.Josephs and Crossfields. ofsted report states both as good school.
I am unable to decide which one is the best and that too with big difference (£4500 per year) in fees between the schools.

Anyone has an idea why there is difference in fees? Is it because Crossfields is better?

Thanks.
Reading Mum

Re: St.Josephs vs Crossfields

Post by Reading Mum »

Crossfields has massive & excellent grounds, St Joes is rather more landlocked.

Until fairly recently Crossfields was a boys school but it has opened up to girls as well now. Initially the split was very much to the boys with a token number of girls but I am sure that is levelling a bit now. Facilities had to get addressed since there were obviouslly no girls changing rooms or setup for netball, dance etc. They have just built a spanking new pool.

Until fairly recently St Joes was a girls convent school but it has opened up to boys as well now. Initially they only took boys from 3 to 7 but it seems to have opened up to the full range now. Maybe it is still subsidised by the Catholic church?

I suspect both moves away from single gender were influenced by falling numbers - but have no facts to base that on.

If you choose St Joes he can stay to 18, Crossfields only goes to 13
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Reading Mum wrote:If you choose St Joes he can stay to 18, Crossfields only goes to 13
Agree with all the above, Crossfields have had good success at placing boys at 13+ you can see the list on their website always a good sign, they've had some very good years at getting 13+ entry to Reading School if you want an academic and fee free environment. :D

Crossfileds is a sporty boys prep school, St Jo's is a Catholic girls school, both are in the process (it takes time) of going co-ed. So which suits your DS best, only you can tell?

Another odd thing I discovered during research last year is that St Jo's have some bursary funding from the defunct Presentation college.
Pratz

Post by Pratz »

Thanks a lot for your replies.
I want him to go into private for the next two years and move to Grammar school after that(hopefully).
He likes sports(like most boys). Based on your replies i feel that Crossfields is better choice.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now