Multiple Choice Comprehension

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Okanagan

Multiple Choice Comprehension

Post by Okanagan »

Can anyone recommend any good resources for multiple choice comprehension? We don't really need full English papers as they tend to have sections we don't need for our area. Downloadable or easily available if possible as we haven't got long left to order materials which need to be delivered.
UmSusu

Re: Multiple Choice Comprehension

Post by UmSusu »

Okanagan, the GL/Nfer English papers are available in multiple choice format. Bond also have practice papers in mc format (2 packs with 4 in each one). Tutor Master has a set available in mc format too. Just make sure you check that they are mc not standard format before you buy. They all usually have 28 questions in the comprehension section so I would allow 20 minutes for that part of the paper. The last few are usually more about the meaning of words in context, so I guess if you prefer to stick nearer to the usual 21 questions in 15 minutes that CEM have you could ignore those last few - I always leave them in and increase the time.

You have mentioned before the Manchester grammar papers, so I suppose you are aware that part one of their English paper has several mc comprehension sections? There are 10 questions for each text - although CEM have not done so recently, they have given 2 shorter texts for comprehension in the past. I like their English paper and have had DC do the whole papers for practice with more general reasoning skills.

I am afraid I don't really know of any other free / downloadable resources.

UmSusu
UmSusu
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

Thanks. I've got Tutor Master and CGP, but couldn't find any others in multiple choice format in our local bookshops, and I prefer to have a look at what the papers are like before buying them. Gave in and ordered the GL assessment packs online though.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Hello, the shop on this forum does next day delivery and has lot of comprehension papers. CSSE sell English and Maths papers that are multiple choice and you can order from their website but not during the holidays. Alpha have MC papers I think and they are available in the Forum shop. I think the Tutors might have mc as well. Athey do an English paper, not sure if they do a mc version. DG
bravado

Post by bravado »

Daogroupie wrote:Hello, the shop on this forum does next day delivery and has lot of comprehension papers. CSSE sell English and Maths papers that are multiple choice and you can order from their website but not during the holidays. Alpha have MC papers I think and they are available in the Forum shop. I think the Tutors might have mc as well. Athey do an English paper, not sure if they do a mc version. DG
I didn't know CSSE offered multiple choice papers - in the past, the practice packs I've ordered and seen, have been in standard format for English and Maths because that's what the Essex exam format is. Has this now changed? I've checked the CSSE order form but can't see any multiple choice option, except for VR :

The English does have some multiple choice-type questions but the exam paper itself, is where you enter the answers.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

I'm not familiar with the Essex papers - but if they're like this then they're not quite the format we need here (having found it I might still get ds to have a look at that one though!).

Ours will be multiple choice style, but answers written on the papers - like Q7 on this sample paper.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now