Timed sections for exams

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Cozen

Timed sections for exams

Post by Cozen »

Pls can someone let me know if it's a fact that you can't go back and cross check DAO VR during the exam in any order you wish as each section is timed.
Daogroupie

Re: Timed sections for exams

Post by Daogroupie »

This is not correct. You can do the DAO VR in any order you wish. I have taught my students to go and find the sections they find easiest and do those first. This is a personal choice, it suits some and not others. You can start at the front and work through or you can chase the marks and roam the paper. What is essential is to have a really clear sense of time. The questions are not hard, there is just a lot of them. The Z one are usually the ones that make the difference between a good mark and an average mark. DG
oranges

Post by oranges »

Thanks DAO this is useful to know regarding time - we only have Athey with 100 questions to practice on as a like for like comparison - I think most other practice papers are 80 questions - should we cut the time allowed on these papers to build speed - you appear to have great knowledge and advice appreciated - I notice similar comment on another post .
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Yes, cut the time. We were doing 80 papers like Walsh and Bright Sparks in 30 mins. You need to be really ramping up now with just two weeks to go. Focus on getting your speed in the VR as your English and Maths papers will not even be marked if you do not score 115 and above in the VR. Speed in VR is a temporary thing, you can only hold onto it for a few weeks. DG
Cozen

Post by Cozen »

Thankyou so much for your swift response.

I must have read this about another school then and not DAO.

We are still battling with silly mistakes so it gives me more hope that DS has the chance to pick up more marks from cross checking i.e. if he finishes before the 45 mins is up.