Maths Question- confused

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

littledippy

Maths Question- confused

Post by littledippy »

Hi Maths Man & Ladies,

Can you help me out here?

Here is a question - find the volume of a cake edge 4 cm?

I am not sure how to workout? (I don't even know if it is a square cake or Round Cake :lol: :lol: )

Thank you
hermanmunster

Re: Maths Question- confused

Post by hermanmunster »

you need a bit more info ... is the 4cm the depth or width / length??
svg123

Post by svg123 »

You can only answer this question if the cake is in the shape of a cube, otherwise you require more information.
littledippy

Post by littledippy »

Hi hermanmunster and svg123.
Thanks for your replies.
There is no other information for this question, but I do have an answer which is 36.
I also thought there wasn't enough information to work this out.
This paper is passed down to me by my sister-in-law, but it doesn't say where it came from. Her son took the 11+ nearly 10 years ago ;)

Littledippy..
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

well if it was a 4cm cube then the volume would be 64 so that doesn't sound right :? - no definitely something missing there
mystery

Post by mystery »

Maybe someone has eaten part of the cake? Maybe you need to purchase a decent set of questions?!!
mystery

Post by mystery »

On reflection I'm thinking maybe that this cake is 4cm tall, and there's a diagram somewhere dropped out of the paper showing that it has a surface area of 9cm2 (that was supposed to say 9 square centimetres). It would be a pretty small cake though - I really do think that someone has eaten part of it.

Does this paper have no title or source or publisher? How do you know it is useful in any way for the exam your child is going to do?
littledippy

Post by littledippy »

These papers looks like some photocopied papers from a tutor. Title is module 5 and has sections A, B and C in it.
Another question from this paper - How many cm3 (read as cm cubed) is equal to m3 (read as m cubed). Ok, this is not hard but will make the child to think.
I think I am going to leave this question to rest in peace. I don’t think we can find an answer without further information. Thank you all for trying to help.

Littledippy.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now