No improvement ...

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ginx

No improvement ...

Post by ginx »

My dd has practised lots of comprehension (GL assessments) but has not improved from her 60-70% mark.

Any last minute tips? I don't know what to do. It is the comprehension, not the clozes.

What can I do?

I imagine to pass she would need more like 80% plus. I don't think it's going to happen ...
UmSusu

Re: No improvement ...

Post by UmSusu »

Hello ginx,

remind her of techniques such as skim read text and questions, then read again underlining important parts, find the answer to the question from the text before getting confused by the options etc. There is little else you can do in such a short space of time. Try not to worry too much as every child has something they are weaker at and the comp is usually only 1/6 of the whole English / VR element - she can make the marks up somewhere else . At the end of the day, the difference between 65% of 20 marks and 85% is only a few marks.

If it is of any comfort to you, DS1 was getting similar marks for the comp in those papers but still managed to get a good score in the English paper due to his wider literacy skills. Ok, so it was the nvr that let him down, but that is another story ...... :roll:
UmSusu
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

Have you tried any which aren't GL? Just in case it is the particular style of those? I'll PM you one or two links for downloadable practise materials.
RLB10

Post by RLB10 »

Sometimes over-practicing can be negative. Give your child a little break from the papers and then come back to previous ones and discuss the mistakes made and how you can avoid them. It depends on what schools you want to get into. 70 percent may be okay some places but not good enough at others.
ginx

Post by ginx »

Okanagan,

you are so kind! I just have this secret hope with my dd that she might do lots of questions because she is fast and has improved accuracy for VR and NVR. Maths has improved a little. And she might - but only might - try harder on the day.

I take the point that we are over practising. But we are not! A paper every other day, Bond or GL or Susan Daughtey. Technique is definitely helping for clozes.

Another day. Time to go through yesterday's English then a day out. It's not all doom and gloom for her - just me! Yet with our school selection, she really has a win-win outcome.

Thank you.
ps not sure how I find a pm on here ...
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

ginx wrote:ps not sure how I find a pm on here ...
On the left hand side at the top of the screen (just under the banner) you will see a line which looks like:
Logout [ Ginx ] 1 new messages
Click on the "1 new messages" bit (or in the link on the line above this, which will take you to the same place) to go to messages.
ginx

Post by ginx »

Thanks, Okanagan.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now