bonds maths assessments

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
faz

bonds maths assessments

Post by faz »

hi, can anyone help me with this query, my daughter has been doing bonds maths 10-11 yrs old.
she has been doing well, but was wondering how close are these to the nfer tests that she will be sitting
in herts in sept. and what papers are most similar to the ones she will be taking, as she done a few letts
but her marks dropped a little, should i worry, any advice would be great. thanks in advance
NatalieT

Re: bonds maths assessments

Post by NatalieT »

I think the GL NFER Assessment papers (now also published by Letts) are the hardest we've seen. Not sure if you're referring to the same exams, but Bond is easier to handle than the NFER at least for my daughter. Our tutor (PhD in maths and with long experience in tutoring) is also not that happy about the NFER published papers for the type of algebra that they feature. My daughter just got a 5C in maths (end of year 5) and came top of the top set (1A) in the Greenwich banding. Still, she gets around 90% in tests by Alpha Series and just below this for Athey recently, Bond 90% and above a few months ago, but for the specific papers NFER - GL Assessment (there are links to these in this site for those taking the Bexley 11+) the best mark so far was 78%. Perhaps they won't go for such hard ones in the actual test, as the published Bexley specimen tests are too easy by comparison. At any rate, the prevalent opinion seems to be that you should be practising for a good grasp of all the basics- if you push for algebra (beyond its basics) the child may become completely confused. Hope this helps- and good luck!
yoyo123

Re: bonds maths assessments

Post by yoyo123 »

according to pupils for teh last coouple of years the actual te
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now