How do I calm DD nerves!!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
harrydog

How do I calm DD nerves!!

Post by harrydog »

Hi, I'm new to the forum and this is the first time we have been through the 11+ process. My DD has been coping extremely well and working through things at a good pace but in the last week her nerves are starting to come through!

She has always been lacking confidence in maths but she has now nosedived and convinced herslf she won't be able to answer anything!! She is certainly stronger in VR and English and is happy to complete work in this, but mention the "Maths" word and the dread overcomes her face!!

Any advice on how to battle these last minute nerves?
FluffyD

Re: How do I calm DD nerves!!

Post by FluffyD »

I got my DS some Bachs rescue remedy and told him that this will help your nerves.
He is thrilled with it and even has some in chewing gum form so that he can have an extra burst in the exam if he pops one in before going in.
Even if it is only a placebo it has calmed him down loads and is well worth it in my opinion!
Vic x
sian6484

Post by sian6484 »

Hi,
My daughter took the 11+ last year. I bought her some Omega 3 Fish Oil tablets and told her they were brain pills (and they are supposed to support brain function, so not a lie!). Gave her a tablet every time she saw tutor and also on the morning of the exam. I think, psychologically, it helped. Also, tell her that children get into grammar school with poor marks in one subject but good marks in the other two so it doesn't necessarily matter if she doesn't get high scores in maths. (I think I read somewhere that a lad got in after scoring only 18 in English in the past). Maths paper was considered quite hard last year too, so, with a bit of luck, they may relax it a bit this year. And, actually, she should be proud of herself for all the work she has done so far - Good luck.
harrydog

Post by harrydog »

Thank you for your helpful replies. I will certainly give them a try! I'm so proud of her and the determination she has shown. I think we will both be glad once thee 22nd September is behind us!!

T xx
Manana

Post by Manana »

harrydog wrote:Thank you for your helpful replies. I will certainly give them a try! I'm so proud of her and the determination she has shown. I think we will both be glad once thee 22nd September is behind us!!

T xx
I think it's going to be me that needs the Bach remedies! I keep waking in a cold sweat thinking it's the 22nd and we've overslept! DS doesn't seem that bothered so far, but I'm wondering if I'll get any sleep at all the night before!!

I'm hoping school don't give them too much homework in the next three weeks-I might end up doing it myself ;)
bravado

Post by bravado »

Manana wrote:
harrydog wrote:Thank you for your helpful replies. I will certainly give them a try! I'm so proud of her and the determination she has shown. I think we will both be glad once thee 22nd September is behind us!!

T xx
I think it's going to be me that needs the Bach remedies! I keep waking in a cold sweat thinking it's the 22nd and we've overslept! DS doesn't seem that bothered so far, but I'm wondering if I'll get any sleep at all the night before!!

I'm hoping school don't give them too much homework in the next three weeks-I might end up doing it myself ;)
Manana - you always make me smile! I reckon I'll be doing the same on homework lol :lol: DD2 has an exam, the day after the BIG day and DD1 has a h-u-g-e competition, too - I wonder if Bach do industrial-strength? :lol: :lol:
harrydog

Post by harrydog »

Manana wrote:

T xx

LOL!! I've decieded to tell the school NO homework unitl after 22nd!! :lol: I don't think my nerves can take it otherwise!!

T x
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

Haha! I've gone down the vitamin tablet route, too! We did shamefully little work during the holidays. The beginning of September has galvanised us into action, though, and we are determined to do a bit of work each day in the run up to the exam. They're probably not going to improve between now and the exam so it's just a case of keeping things ticking over.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now