Only 5 days to go..........

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
sss

Only 5 days to go..........

Post by sss »

Hi
We've finally decided that we now need to take the foot off the pedal on the papers etc.
Both DD & I have decided that we've done all we can do.
Now we're just going over exam techniques etc.
I doubt our DC can learn much more by doing relentless amounts of papers at this late stage - poor marks seems to create anxiety with us!
I wonder what other folks are doing with their DC with only a few days to go?
Regards
sss
Last edited by sss on Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ginx

Re: Only 5 days to go..........

Post by ginx »

Our dd only has a slim chance, so we too have decided to ease off.

We might just discuss vocab. and that is it. I don't think her VR or NVR can improve now. Her comprehension isn't great, but we may look at nouns etc. Her maths is weak.

I don't know how much to do, back to school tomorrow, and nobody wants their child to be tired on Saturday!
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

I am off to the Think Tank with mine. We will see if we can get a 3D movie in too at their cinema although they always make me feel dizzy.

Maybe a few vocab games over the next days? I have said I want him to look at a few more graphs / data questions too if I can.

Strangely enough, even though I am anxious I would just like to enjoy what he has achieved to reach this stage rather than worry about more work .........that and the fact that I still have trousers to shorten tonight and name badges to sew on!!! :D

Good Luck to all and well done (DCs and DPs) for getting this far. Now don't forget to set your alarms on Sat morning!

UmSusu
UmSusu
sss

Post by sss »

Forgot to mention: The next five days couldn't come any sooner - I'm dying to have a NORMAL life again (I've SKY plussed dozens & dozens of programmes, films etc - a lot of catching up to do)!
nicolajane1971

Post by nicolajane1971 »

We're pretty much in the same position, no more practice papers (hooray, am tempted to burn them except DD due to take hers in 2 years).

DS is so laid back about Saturday I'm terrified and must confess to feeling pretty pukey about the whole thing, what a week, DS2 starts school tomorrow as well.

I am really amazingly, incredibly proud about how my little boy has coped with our 8 week journey of madness, would I take the 'last minute' route again - who knows? I know from chatting with girlfriends that their kids, who have been working for much longer are really fed up with the whole thing, maybe it was the right decision, we will never know.

Good luck my lovelies, if only there were room for all of them, they certainly deserve it.

Any suggestions for parking near Handsworth Grammar much appreciated?!
sss

Post by sss »

There shouldn't be too much problem parking around Handsworth Grammar (although there are 1 or 2 'one ways' there which can prove tricky).
I would do a dry run if you get the chance but, if you can't, try to avoid the Soho Road (unless you're coming from the south of Brum).
There should be plenty of parking on Grove Lane or around Handsworth Park.
Usual caveat applies: leave early (but not too early)!
lottie78

Post by lottie78 »

Hi all,
So before the holidays I had a plan in my head of a practise timetable... Well that went out the window, Ds has done some papers ranging from 85-90% to 65-70% he still makes the most basic of errors in his Maths by simply not reading the question properly, I think I scared him with time issues and he panics and goes headlong in!
But funnily enough in the last week he has been really positive, he's done really well and is quite confident ( me not so much) so we're done. I want him to go in with confidence, any minor meltdowns over work this week could be disastrous for his attitude to the exam. He's looking forward to it just been over with and we'll worry about the results later.
He's never been in exam situation before so he is nervous, I just hope he does well he has worked so hard, if he gets a place it would be great but as competition is so tough I'm not overly optimistic but at least he'll have a good year 6 with all that he has learnt!

Good luck to all dcs out there and well done to all parents for sticking to it, the final hurdle is in sight !!
english-skills

Post by english-skills »

In my view stress and anxiety (for parent and child) should be avoided at all costs in the week before the exams. Stress seriously reduces brain function and impairs memory. *******
Try to get some fish, kiwi fruit and walnuts into your diet; these are great in small amounts for Oemga 3; avoid heavy fatty meals and take-aways!

Leisure, games, and plenty of sleep are the best prep for 11 year olds.

Some limbering up with fairly easy word and number games the day before the exam is probably ok - what do you think?
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

I think the advice on healthy, nutritious food and good rest are important as the 11 plus is not like exams that are sat later in life when cramming information last minute might just get you the extra marks you need.

It is better to hold back now as the children are anxious even if they appear not to be bothered. However, if there are the odd minor problem areas that are still causing concern, a parent might find it better to just keep the momentum going a little- I think most parents are sensible enough to judge that for themselves.

At this stage I am personally more worried about the negative effects of tiredness and stress than picking up a few marks.
UmSusu
sss

Post by sss »

I think what you do with your DC in the last few days is a personal thing. We personally have decided that enough is enough with papers etc. We are now just concentrating on exam techniques only.
Regarding the diet - I'd say fish all the way!!!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now