St Catherine's Catholic School

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

2childmum

St Catherine's Catholic School

Post by 2childmum »

Does anyone know anything about St Catherine's? Does anyone know somebody with a daughter there, or even let me know what sort of reputation it has?

Many thanks :D
Tracy

Re: St Catherine's Catholic School

Post by Tracy »

I have a daughter there about to go into year 9.
What would you like to know? 8)
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

Hi. Basically I would like to know if she is happy there, and whether you feel she is being treated as an individual. Is she encouraged to develop across the board, rather than just academically? Has the school identified the things she is good at? Do you get good feedback about how well she is doing and where she may be struggling? My daughter is bright but has dyslexia which really slows her down and that's why I've decided not to go for a grammar school.

Many thanks
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Yes she is treated as an individual and she is happy - mainly - well we are talking about teenagers here :lol:

All the girls are encouraged to develop academically and the progress in my daughter has been mixed ranging from 'omg that's brilliant' to 'did you actually listen to anything during the lesson'. She is not what you would consider to be 'grammar level' but is still above average. My dd, however, either likes a subject or hates it and it is this, not the school, that can hinder her progress :roll: We are getting there though!

The school excels at drama and sports and many other extra curricular activities. There are so many to choose from that my dd has had to make choices between them as she can't do them all at the same time!

Feedback is mixed. They have about 6 tracking stages throughout the year and parents are invited in twice a year to discuss their daughter. I have always maintained an interest in the schooling of my kids and am always on their's and the schools' cases if things do not seem quite right. On the whole I think that St Caths is fine with the feedback and, where it is maybe a bit slow, I've got involved to find out the answers. The staff seem positive to my requests for extra info and like the fact that this mum in involved with her dd's education.

On the occasions I have been to the school, sometimes unannounced, I have been staggered by the peace and quiet and the calmness of the lessons. You can hear a pin drop. :shock: You can actually hear the teacher teach. Classroom misbehaviour will not be tolerated but at the same time the girls do have a laugh and joke and get on with their work. It's so refreshing after visiting other schools.

I'm very pleased, on the whole, with the progress my dd has made. Any areas of weakness are identified and have been result of my dd's efforts or lack of it but that's teenage girls for you. :roll:
If I had to fill out the caf again I would still choose St Caths first.
Please do not hestitate to ask about anything else.
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

That's really helpful and positive - thanks very much for such a useful reply.

We are not Catholic but are regular church attendees, and I understand a number of places go to girls in that catagory. Wdo live some distance away however so may not get her in due to that. We will go and have a look and I think it's always worth a try putting a couple of 'outside chances' on the CAF as we have 6 spaces to fill!

Thanks again
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

The catchment area seems quite big from the Swanley, Bromley and Dartford area right through to Southwark. This is for Catholics. Non Catholics who are regular church goers still manage to secure a place although I can't give you actual distances, it would appear 'localish' though.
If you like the school, put it on the caf, you never know...
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now