Mirror Codes

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

justkeepswimming

Mirror Codes

Post by justkeepswimming »

Please can anybody let me know whether mirror codes are likely to come up on the Bucks test and, if so, for which question types. I haven't covered them with dd yet (codes are her weak spot) and am wondering whether it is worth confusing her now if they don't tend to come up/only come up very rarely. Many thanks
patricia

Re: Mirror Codes

Post by patricia »

Hi Justkeepswimming

Yes there is a chance that they will come up and yes it is worth teaching your child. Every mark is important with regard to codes (and maths) as this will give your child some leeway with regard to unknown vocabulary.

They can appear with the following types...

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ

If the code for DUST is WFHF
What is the code for POLISH

AM is to ZN
as BR is to ?

You could also see a reversed/inside outside mirror as in

AM is to NZ
as VD is to ? (WE)
patricia wrote:For long and 2 letter codes [C and U] my children do not start the section until they have set the alphabet up for mirrors. They draw a line between M and N [the mirror] then put 5 on top of E and V [to help with the counting of letters away from the mirror.]

In doing so, it reminds them that there could be some mirror/inverted mirrors included.

They then check the whole section for mirrors before they start, putting a large M next to the relevant mirror question. It only takes a few seconds but saves time and heartache in the long run.

Patricia
justkeepswimming

Re: Mirror Codes

Post by justkeepswimming »

Many thanks Patricia!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now