Views on school homework up to the 11 plus?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
jojo1

Views on school homework up to the 11 plus?

Post by jojo1 »

I'd just like to know your views on homework before the 11 plus? My ds announced that he is NOT doing any school homework until after the 22nd Sept and wants me to write a letter to the school explaining why. I do agree that it's added pressure but don't think the school will look kindly to it. I'm not sure what to do?
Guest55

Re: Views on school homework up to the 11 plus?

Post by Guest55 »

That is mad - how will he cope at GS if he cannot do the homework and prep for the 11+?

As a teacher I would NOT be sympathetic. :shock:
jojo1

Post by jojo1 »

Wow what an aggresive reply, I've only used this forum once before and just wanted thoughts on what others were doing in the lead up to the exam?
My ds is a very capable boy who researched local grammar schools and taking the 11 plus himself .
If you haven't got anything nice to say keep your opinions to yourself!
Manana

Post by Manana »

For the next two weeks I shall be giving DS plenty of help with any homework he gets from school if he wants it-I love colouring in! I wouldn't make an issue about it by writing letters to the school; it will probably only be a couple of bits of homework anyway.

FWIW, I'm a KS2 teacher as well. The shame ;)
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

Our school gives very little homework. I expect we'll just have a reading book, weekly spellings and if the new teacher is a hard taskmaster(!), a couple of worksheets. The spellings and reading fit in with exam prep anyway. We only have another two weekends before the exam. Anything given in week three can be done the day after the 11+ if necessary. :lol:

We're going to do a bit of work each day in the run up to the exam, but nothing so onerous that school homework would cause a problem. We are continuing with all DD's usual extra-curricular clubs too. I don't want to give DD the impression that the world stops for the 11+ as I'd rather she took it in her stride.
moved

Post by moved »

It's only three weeks and he's only just in year 6. Plenty of parents will be refusing HW or doing it for their children.

Do what works best for you two. Fingers crossed.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

I suppose that's one advantage of our exam being so early - only 4 days into the new term. They won't have actually had any homework which is due to be handed back in before the exam is over!
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

I think it depends on the school and their attitude / support for the 11 plus. If your DS is at a school that supports the 11 plus and a lot of children are sitting it then you may find he gets little homework / only relevant homework between now and then (a friends experience). However if he is at a primary like mine where the head was very anti the 11 plus then a letter as he is suggesting would be a "red rag to a bull" moment!

Personally I would wait and see what homework he gets. If it is relevant - maths, reading etc then get him to do it, if colouring in then do it yourself or bribe a younger sibling! :lol:

Edited because I can't spell!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Sorry jojo1 if you thought my reply 'aggressive' but it's the truth - maximum homework in Year 6 is about a couple of hours a week - in GS it's about 90 minutes per day.

You did ask for opinions ... mine is the honest response of a GS teacher.
jojo1

Post by jojo1 »

Thanks for your replies, I decided to hold fire to writing the letter and see what homework he gets. My ds primary set 3-4 pieces a week and then his tutor sets an approx an hour or more a day so he's already doing a fair amount of work.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now