Seems very quiet in Warks these days

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

shakey

Seems very quiet in Warks these days

Post by shakey »

I was wondering what everyone is doing with their DC in the last few days before the test. We're very late starters & are now panicking that we've done it all wrong!!
It's obviously too late now (surely!) but are there any last minute pearls of wisdom before the big day? :?
ginx

Re: Seems very quiet in Warks these days

Post by ginx »

Hi shakey

I've posted a few times about how quiet things are in Warwickshire - is that good or bad?

My dd only has a slim chance at best of passing. She did an entire "mock" at the weekend and did not do well. She is still positive she will try her best, she wants to get to the grammar school because she's convinced her friends will get there (most have had tutoring).

Looking at her "mock" I think she is just not up to scratch. So maybe I'm not the person to ask. A friend whose been through this three times advised an easy week with early nights as kids have to cope with being back at school.

I'm just going through a bit of English - I'm worried she doesn't know nouns etc - and nvr for confidence (she is good at that). I don't think we have time for much else and I don't want her stressed and tired.

I feel we've spent too much time doing the wrong things too! Good luck to you.
shakey

Post by shakey »

Hi Ginx
I think you're doing just perfectly. I think your DD is a star for thinking positively even though, as you say, the Mock results were not as expected. PLEASE don't delve too much into the results but just concentrate on praising your DD & exude as much confidence in her abilities as you can. This, I promise, will count a lot for her on the day.
All the very best to you DD
sss
serendippyty

Post by serendippyty »

My son has refused to do any work so I am not confident. That said, his brother did none either and is at KES Stratford so maybe there is still hope!
shakey

Post by shakey »

Hey Ginx, Okanagan et al
How're you guys getting on with your last day preparations (more to the point, how're your nerves holding up)?
I haven't been this petrified since I tried Oblivion at Alton Towers (& that was 2 years ago)!
Keep cool 8)
Shakey
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

We're not actually doing any last minute preparations - at least I don't think so unless ds asks to go over anything this evening. I feel strangely calm - I think I've just accepted that it's too late to panic now. I'm praying for some boy friendly, or at least gender neutral, topics in the comprehension and cloze though, rather than last year's ballet topic which wouldn't have amused ds at all.
serendippyty

Post by serendippyty »

I am not too stressed as I am happy whichever school my son goes to. It must be really hard if your alternative is not a good option for your child though.
ginx

Post by ginx »

Hi Shakey

Yesterday I was really panicking and nervous.

We have done very little work all week. My dd only has a slim chance as I've typed many times! I don't know whether it's the sun, or what, but I feel totally relaxed about it now (and haven't even had a glass of wine yet!)

My dd is lucky; if she passes she goes to the gs; if not she goes to a good school with a gs. She'll be fine wherever she goes and should have friends wherever she goes. One of her friends apparently "knows" she is going to pass. How? That sort of attitude really annoys me. Anyway. We haven't spent £5,000 on tutoring, nor done 8 papers a day, nor been working since year 4. These are all things I've read which have made me panic.

But overall this forum is great. Okanagan has been a wonderful support, as well as you, Shakey, and a few others.

Good luck to everyone. What will be will be. It is meant to be. Or not.

Good luck,

Ginx
serendippyty

Post by serendippyty »

Ginx, you are so right, what will be will be. Perfect attitude.

Good Luck everyone, I do hope you all get results that work for you x
shakey

Post by shakey »

Hi Ginx
You & your DD have done your best & that's all you can expect - end of story. :) So you both should be very proud of yourselves tomorrow.
Well done - & make sure you've got TWO alarms set for tomorrow morning (like I have)!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now