sitting the test in a private school

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

MelW

sitting the test in a private school

Post by MelW »

Does anyone know/have experience of a child not from a state maintained or partner private school being allowed to sit the 11+ at their private school? County 'kind of' said yes but I don't feel 100% confident with the woman I was talking to.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Mel

Yes they can sit the test at their school IF the school agree to it, but if they subsequently refuse to test at the school, you will have to pay the courier costs. The other option is take the test during half term at a venue arranged by County, follows a copy and paste from last years admissions booklet. I had a child in this position a few years ago. I am not aware that it has changed.
If you wish your child to be tested at an out area
school and you state on our form that the school
has agreed to test, if they subsequently refuse we
will ask you to refund the courier costs of issuing
and returning the test papers.
Otherwise, children can take the tests on two
separate days during October half-term at a venue
we arrange. It is very important that children who
are not to be tested in a Buckinghamshire school
register for the procedure early, and at the latest by
8 September 2006. If you do not do this, there may
be long delays in testing, and, if your child
qualifies, there would be limited places in the grammar
school
Have you registered, have you asked your school if they will test, what did County say? I am assuming that your school is out of County.

Patricia
MelW

Post by MelW »

My son's school have agreed in principal and County said it was fine but the woman sounded quite vague - like she didn't know what she was talking about! I guess I need to find out how the school needs to proceed as I have a feeling I will be driving this...
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Mel

The following may be of some use

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/bcc/content/i ... =736881991

Patricia
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Mel

I suggest that you email Admissions with your query and ask them to email you back. They are quite good about such things, and once you have it in writing ...

And do print out the email!

Sally-Anne
MelW

Post by MelW »

Thanks Patricia and Sally Anne. I have requested the pack just frustrating that I am not going to receive it until Summer hols! I will also double up by sending an e-mail.
hugh

Post by hugh »

My son was at an out of county prep school and although they prefer boys to stay on till 13, they were fine about administering the test, thinking (rightly) it would be less stressful in familiar surroundings. My son and two other children did it a couple of years ago, and most years 2 or 3 children do so.

As others have said, it's entirely up to the school. One advantage is that they have quite a lot of flexibility with the date, so can pick ones that suit them and the parents and long as the papers are submitted to Bucks by whatever deadline they are given.
MelW

Post by MelW »

I 'sold' it to the head by emphasising that familiar surroundings would be very beneficial for my son - it doesn't take much to distract him! I also wanted him to take it at the same time as everyone else but it can obviously be flexible.

I am very keen to get the results on the same day as the state schools. Presumably County publish dates that the exams have to be returned by to achieve this?
hugh

Post by hugh »

Bucks sent all the relevant info to a nominated teacher at the prep school and there was a window of two or three weeks (maybe more, I forget) in which they could adminsiter the tests and a deadline by which they had to do so for us to get the results at the same teim as children in Bucks state schools.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi

in North Yorks there are lots of out of county pupils taking the test from a range of private and state schools. All of them come to one of the centres to take the test at the same time as all everyone else. seems to work well and if you can't get them there for the test then you aren't going to be able to get them to school each day :wink:

We lived 150 miles + away at the time of the test and were moving to the area, we just came up to do the test - if kids are relaxed enough then it doesn't bother them where the test is done.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now