Mobile Phones - At what Age?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Tagore

Mobile Phones - At what Age?

Post by Tagore »

When does one equip their dc with a mobile phone? We have been having this conversation at home, of late, and my initial instinct is to resist as long as I can.

DC is ushered by parent or carer all the time. School trips are by car, so I don't see the need.

Would love to hear wha other parenst thoughts are on this subject.
Tagore
Reading Mum

Re: Mobile Phones - At what Age?

Post by Reading Mum »

we are in the middle of that discussion at the moment. Till now it hasn't been needed but at DD's school one of the big changes in yr 6 is that they are allowed to travel to and from school independently. DD is keen to walk home so I think the time has come for the most basic PAYG phone. I work from home so I will be here when she arrives but I would like to be able to track her down if she's late.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Ours all got them when they went to senior school. We also had a family basic phone which could be taken if they were somewhere where they might need to get hold of us (sports competitions where we were involved in a lift share etc). They aren't officially allowed them at school anyway, but that seems to slip by about Christmas of year 7 :lol:
scary mum
secondtime

Post by secondtime »

Year 7 in my opinion.
If after school clubs are cancelled, they can easily ring to tell me. Equally when the school bus brakes down!
I have only got my boys basic phones - a constant grumble on their part - lots seem to have Iphones.
My niece has started secondary this year and her Mum will not let her have a phone - it will be interesting to see how long her resolve lasts!
Hera

Post by Hera »

I have just bought one for my DS who has gone into year 6 but because he walks part way to and from school and I need to meet up with him on the way home. It proved to be handy when we were out in safe environments over the Summer as he could go off on his own, but I could summon him back when I wanted him or just check he was ok. I think it depends on your circumstances. If I could pick and drop him off at school I wouldn't have got him one yet.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Another one for year 7 here. And a nice, basic, not very exciting one at that. Don't encourage your children to become part of the 'my phone's better than your phone' brigade. If parents didn't buy into it, it would be far less likely to take hold. As a teacher I have seen an insane amount of bullying starting as a result of phones...some parents seem to think children need the flashiest, most expensive ones and to have them replaced regularly to boot. I can't afford an iPhone, and am always shocked when one of my Year 8s starts brandishing one!
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

When my eldest was about to turn 9, there was nothing she really wanted for her birthday, and we didn't have many ideas, so we ended up getting her a mobile phone, because we knew she would be hugely entertained by just having it. She was, very :-) But of course from then on, the other 3 decided it was a family tradition that you get a phone for your 9th birthday! I don't think any of them have used up the £10 credit that they started with before their 10th birthday :mrgreen:

Somewhere between 9 and 10 has been when they've started staying at home for a while alone, or popping out to the park or shop alone, so actually it's worked out ok. But there was no plan :-)

None of mine are particularly attached to their phones now either, but I think that's because they have to but their own credit ;)
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

cheap and cheerful is the best bet ... no angst if lost . CPW have some good deals .. http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/buy/SA ... OD10_WEB10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

£4.95 + plenty of texts and calls for a tenner.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Our two got them at Easter of Y6 so they had time to be familiar with using them before they actually needed them in Y7.

Our daughter gets £10 a month and uses it all, our son still has £40+ left from a £50 top up in Y8 (he's now in Y10...)

Mike
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Have a look at the giffgaff delas. For DS we pay £5 for unlimited texts (and boy, can he text), but no calls or internet. A small amount is added to the account for calls which acts like PAYG (he doesn't make calls excpe to me in an "emergency"). For DD and me it is £10 each which includes unlimited texts, 250 mins of calls and unlimited internet. It is a one month rolling contract so you can get out of it at any time if a better deal comes up or the phone is lost etc. Other similar deals may be available :D
scary mum