Shocked

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

scary mum

Shocked

Post by scary mum »

DS as just started in year 7 at BGS. He says that there is a child that the school was expecting who has decided not to come to the school. As of yesterday they were still waiting for them. Now I realise that DS may have misunderstood (not for the first time :D ), or may not have the full story, but it appears that there are still people who hang on to places when they have no intention of using them. Some poor soul has been waiting for the waiting list to move and will have started at another school last week.

Rant over!
scary mum
anotherdad

Re: Shocked

Post by anotherdad »

I'm not surprised, although parents are not always to blame. My daughter sat the 12+ and moved to a GS. I specifically asked the LA whether I needed to notify the upper she was leaving and was told, no, the LA notify the upper as soon as a GS place is accepted. We accepted the place in May that year. I had an understandably embarrassed head teacher ring me in July to ask if the "rumour" of my daughter leaving was true, having not heard anything from the LA. The upper school had a waiting list for year 8 and people were kept waiting two months longer than they should have been. Some may have taken places elsewhere in that time.
mad?

Post by mad? »

Sadly I'm not surprised either. I was aware of a few parents who, having turned down schools in the appropriate way received 'phone calls on the first day of term asking where there DC were. With this in mind when we turned down a school I rang the LA and the school, wrote a letter to both AND filled in the necessary forms. Whilst I have never had a call asking where my DD is I spent her Y7 trying to stop said school chasing me for lunch money, emergency contact details and payment for school trips. I suppose that fact that they did not want to know where she was made this all the more alarming!
mad?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

It may well be partly the fault of the system. In Bucks (don't know if it's the same elsewhere) when they offer the school place they ask you to accept the offer within 2 weeks, the implication being that you will lose the place if you don't. In fact they keep the place open until you accept/reject it, as far as I know. Certainly a friend (a few years ago) decided to send DD to an indie and didn't turn down the state school place offered and was surpised to find out later that the school was expecting her child to start in September.
scary mum
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

Unfortunately, I'm another one who isn't surprised. Dreadful! As you say Scary there are children and parents out there desperately hoping for places at these schools and have been waiting to hear all summer.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now