Taking exam on Saturday - will there be a rush?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
HappyRobot

Taking exam on Saturday - will there be a rush?

Post by HappyRobot »

Hi
My ds is taking the exam on sat. Will the car parks etc be full near kes as its a Saturday and tourists are in town?
Does anyone know how many children take the exam late?
We took Brum exam last week hence the timing.
Okanagan

Re: Taking exam on Saturday - will there be a rush?

Post by Okanagan »

I'd park in the Bridgefoot multistorey carpark and walk over (it's not far) rather than chance finding a closer parking spot.
ginx

Post by ginx »

Do dc sit the Birmingham exam and the Warks? I don't understand about the schools around here, does that mean some dc consider travelling miles to one area or the other?
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

Some do - those living around Henley / Redditch / south of Solihull in particular which are geographically in between the Birmingham grammars and the Warwickshire ones. Or those who take both so they can use one as a free CEM mock for the other. It used to be Birmingham people who used the Warwickshire one, this year the exam dates may mean it's the other way around. But yes some do travel miles.
HappyRobot

Post by HappyRobot »

if you are in the catchment for warks you can apply
while for brum grammars doesn't matter where you live

we're in solihull so the journey is much the same for us
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

Hi, what did your DC think of exam today?

i assume all the late sitters were taking it at KES today and i guessed there were about 100 kids.

My DS said easier than last week and said the definitions was his worst section!
HappyRobot

Post by HappyRobot »

Nervousmum,
My ds said that he found it harder than last week, especially the maths! and lost some time as he kept picking up the pencils he dropped.....he reckons he lost 2 mins.
91 children there today.
Could have parked at the school for free as there was plenty of space!!!
I took a peak into the dinner hall...100 seats and the classrooms are small....very different from a large comp!!!
Do you know how many boys go there in total...around 500?
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

Hi, i think it is just under 500, as secondary schools go it is fairly small.

I gave little smile when you said about DS dropping pencils! as soon as mine sat down a pencil landed on the floor.

did you go to any open evenings there? we went last year and this year and i think it is wonderful. The classrooms are similar to all classrooms, but the library is in the old part of the building. Last year we were able to go into chapel which was beautiful. This year it was closed but we went upstairs in the old building into a very old classroom, with very old desks, Shakespeare was taught in that room.

they used to take 75 there, officially, unofficially it was 81, but next year is now officially 81!

My DS would prefer KEFW, we will go to the open day next week as I have not yet been there.

We didn`t park at school, as i didn`t think there would be room, but as it happens it was fairly quiet really.

We just have that nervous wait now for the results.
HappyRobot

Post by HappyRobot »

We went in June this year and I liked it.
We r also looking at kefw again.
At least with Stratford he could get back easily if after school clubs but fw seems to be in the middle of nowhere, but we know people from knowle who go to fw and say u can get buses home if u r late.
All this worry and my ds might not even get the grade so maybe it's time for me to chill out for a few weeks as after the results come out then there is a long wait to march!
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

I think kes would be easier for travel either bus or train, we live 15 min walk from a train station and as you say knew is in the middle of nowhere.
However my ds has 5 cousins currently at knew and the 5th took exam today(second cousins really because their moms are my husbands cousins!)
Anyway,they all live in Hollywood and get green bus from their so we could drop ds at their house and they could all get us together which would be good.
I think our choices would be left, kes and ags in that order, 4th would be st peters rc as he is guaranteed a place there. Our catchment school is Henley in Arden, but we won't put that As a choice!
Here we are making all these plans and we don't even know if he has passed!
I think you are right, need to chill out for a while!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now