How close for a Headteacher to consider an appeal?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
didcot2002

How close for a Headteacher to consider an appeal?

Post by didcot2002 »

Hi there

Does anyone have any idea how close to a pass mark an individual test result would need to be for a Head to consider an appeal?

I'm looking for some reassurance for my dd who feels she did very badly in her VR test today. Poor kid is convinced that she correctly answered only 25% of the paper...I'm sure this isn't true but we don't need massive crisis of confidence at this stage. :(

Sorry if this has been asked before, I did look but couldn't find a thread.

Thanks!
dottie1974

Re: How close for a Headteacher to consider an appeal?

Post by dottie1974 »

Hi Didcot2002

If it is any consolation I have heard of quite a few children who found the VR paper tough today, my DD included and that is normally her strongest subject.

Also, try not to read too much into how dd thinks she did. When my dd took the test a few years ago, she came out of the maths paper and said it was easy but her results when they came through didn't show it was easy!!!

As far as I am aware there is no score a child has to achieve for the Head to appeal - if the head feels the child shoud have passed, is suitable for grammar, and they have enough academic evidence then they can appeal.

I hope tomorrow goes better for your dd.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

it would depend how much the head felt the child was right for grammar school. surely?
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Has your head told you if they will support an appeal ? Mine told me that all the appeal board want to know , is that they are at a certain level academically and so won't struggle at grammar . I did feel hopeful, although am sure not all children are put through who are level 5 ?

My son also told me a few worrying things, and I do feel like crying, wailing actually..but am trying to hold it in until tomorrow is over . :( I'm also trying to remember that they probably have no idea how they did and we just have to wait for D Day.

Luckily, my DH filled out an important form incorrectly and he is now officially Reverend *** instead of Mr...so there should be no problem when it comes to having my supplementary church school form signed. :P
U400JB9

Post by U400JB9 »

I believe the HT appeal will be for any child that was really expected to pass,and didn`t....if a HT appeal fails and the HT still feels the child would be better suited to Grammar then I`d have thought they would be supportive......I know HT`s attitudes often vary alot.

My DD1 came out of the maths paper a few years ago saying it was good.....and she failed that paper.....I really don`t think the kids can guage how well the did at the moment.
U400JB9

Post by U400JB9 »

scarlett wrote:
Luckily, my DH filled out an important form incorrectly and he is now officially Reverend *** instead of Mr...so there should be no problem when it comes to having my supplementary church school form signed. :P
Genius.....wish I`d thought of that :wink: :lol:
doodles

Post by doodles »

scarlett wrote: Luckily, my DH filled out an important form incorrectly and he is now officially Reverend *** instead of Mr...so there should be no problem when it comes to having my supplementary church school form signed. :P
Love it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Please don't worry about what DC's say. I find child based information notoriously inaccurate and unreliable :lol: :lol: :lol:
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

I have just been booing my eyes out and drank a bottle of wine. DS1 told me I should really stop :shock: I know, I think it's hard for them to tell how they did really...it's not like it was 5 +5 ..you know what the answer will be..it's quite ambiguous at times with the other papers..we'll just have to wait and see.
didcot2002

Post by didcot2002 »

Luckily, my DH filled out an important form incorrectly and he is now officially Reverend *** instead of Mr...so there should be no problem when it comes to having my supplementary church school form signed.
That is so funny...didn't think I could laugh today scarlett but you have proved me wrong. YOu and me both with booze and booing. I don't know if my liver can withstand the 4 week wait!! :(
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

DH is using an old 11 plus paper as his new dog collar :P It's going to be a long wait.......but you might find all is ok ...we just don't know ! Going cold turkey next week..or maybe the next. :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now