Information for applying for the grammar school please

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
shorma13

Information for applying for the grammar school please

Post by shorma13 »

Hi everybody

I am very new for this site. I have been looking everywhere for the application process for 11plus exam for children living in non catchment areas. My daughter is just on year 5 at the moment . We are currently livining in Nottingham at the moment and there is no grammer school here . We want her to sit for exam and we are thinking of moving to London near Lewisham.
Please advice me what is the process for people to sit on exams from noncatchment areas?
When we have to apply for exams?
Any ideas would be of great help. Thank you very much in advance .
hermanmunster

Re: Information for applying for the grammer school please

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Shorma - which schools do you have in mind?

Do you have to move to London (expensive business...) there are some good indies in Nottingham and some GS in Lincolnshire!
bondgirl

Post by bondgirl »

Hi shorma13

There are some grammar schools with no catchment areas - if you search the forum you should be able to find previous threads on the subject. Eg. St Olave's in Orpington (boys school though). These schools are super-selectives, meaning they offer places to the candidates who get the top 116 scores (for St O's, other schools may have more or less places). Obviously, competition is fierce for these schools. Other grammar schools have different rules and you really have to look at individual schools and areas to find out how places are allocated. Newstead Wood (girls GS) in Orpington has a 9 mile catchment, for example.

If you're moving to the Lewisham area (which isn't that far from me in Bromley), you may be close enough for the Bexley Grammars (Bexley, Chislehurst and Sidcup and Townley for Girls). If you look on Bexley council website, they have a "transferring to secondary schools" booklet which gives the distances the GSs have gone out to in previous years. With these schools, you need to be "deemed selective" to get in and live within the catchment. That said, the children with the top 180 scores are guaranteed a GS place at the Bexley GS of their choice.

The whole process is very confusing, particularly as it varies from area to area and school to school :shock: I hope this helps. Good luck :D
shorma13

Post by shorma13 »

hermanmunster wrote:Hi Shorma - which schools do you have in mind?

Do you have to move to London (expensive business...) there are some good indies in Nottingham and some GS in Lincolnshire!
Hi there

You are right , i am just looking for best for her ,we have got option open .Could be anywhere really . I still have more than a year to decide although not familiar when to apply for 2014 .
shorma13

Post by shorma13 »

bondgirl wrote:Hi shorma13

There are some grammar schools with no catchment areas - if you search the forum you should be able to find previous threads on the subject. Eg. St Olave's in Orpington (boys school though). These schools are super-selectives, meaning they offer places to the candidates who get the top 116 scores (for St O's, other schools may have more or less places). Obviously, competition is fierce for these schools. Other grammar schools have different rules and you really have to look at individual schools and areas to find out how places are allocated. Newstead Wood (girls GS) in Orpington has a 9 mile catchment, for example.

If you're moving to the Lewisham area (which isn't that far from me in Bromley), you may be close enough for the Bexley Grammars (Bexley, Chislehurst and Sidcup and Townley for Girls). If you look on Bexley council website, they have a "transferring to secondary schools" booklet which gives the distances the GSs have gone out to in previous years. With these schools, you need to be "deemed selective" to get in and live within the catchment. That said, the children with the top 180 scores are guaranteed a GS place at the Bexley GS of their choice.

The whole process is very confusing, particularly as it varies from area to area and school to school :shock: I hope this helps. Good luck :D
Thank you so much for your information . Do you have rough idea when to apply for september 2014 . I am just little worried if it is late already . Thnx ****
Pumpkin Pie

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

Hi, I guess each school will be different but the grammar school my DD wanted to take the test for this September only made application forms available for the September test 2012 in July 2012. So I doubt if you are late. You need to check each schools web site as they should each have details of how to apply. Good luck.
bravado

Post by bravado »

The school for which my DD is sitting tests for 2013 entry, opened applications/registrations on 1st July 2012 and closed on 7th September 2012.

As the test format can vary from school to school and county, it may be useful to have a look at the various regional boards on here, for any areas of England you feel you might like to move to, to see what the exam format consists of ie Verbal Reasoning (VR), Non-Verbal Reasoning (NVR), English and Maths etc.
shorma13

Post by shorma13 »

Pumpkin Pie wrote:Hi, I guess each school will be different but the grammar school my DD wanted to take the test for this September only made application forms available for the September test 2012 in July 2012. So I doubt if you are late. You need to check each schools web site as they should each have details of how to apply. Good luck.
I guess yours is for september 2013. My daughter has gone to year 5 from just this september ,so in my guess we have to start filling form from july 2013 to join class 7 on september 2014 . I might be wrong ***
shorma13

Post by shorma13 »

bravado wrote:The school for which my DD is sitting tests for 2013 entry, opened applications/registrations on 1st July 2012 and closed on 7th September 2012.

As the test format can vary from school to school and county, it may be useful to have a look at the various regional boards on here, for any areas of England you feel you might like to move to, to see what the exam format consists of ie Verbal Reasoning (VR), Non-Verbal Reasoning (NVR), English and Maths etc.
Thank you so much for the information .
sudhacm

Post by sudhacm »

Hi everyone,

Please help me as I am really confused. We currently live in Cambridgeshire. My son has got the positive results from St. Olave's grammar stating he is likely to be offered a place in the school. But not guaranteed a place.
As I know for sure that school's policy is to go by the rank order. And there is no consideration for proximity. We have put this as our first choice in the common application form.
Should we have to move near to school to get into before the allocation day like something before 9th December or we can wait until the allocation day and move in time for Sep 2013.

Can somebody shed some light here please?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now