Blair & Grammar Schools

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
JeremyC

Blair & Grammar Schools

Post by JeremyC »

Am I the only one who has seen Blair’s indirect attack on the grammar school system?

By penalising parents who attempt 11+ from being able to also apply for local comprehensives he has in effect spelt the death of grammar schools, since the only applicants are likely to be those that would have otherwise applied for senior private schools (those who don’t care about being denied a choice of secondary comprehensive schools), or those very confident in their child’s abilities.

A policy that is a bit rich coming from someone (Blair) who attended senior private school to try and kill off the grammar sector? He had a privileged education but seeks to deny it to the general public by ensuring the class system is maintained.
gtk

Post by gtk »

Don't mind him and other politicians that say the same. they have their kids in Private/Independent School (they can obviously afford) and almost dictate/badmouth to the rest of the general public that the very good affordable (non fee paying schools i.e grammar schools) should esentially be scrapped!!!
KenR

Blair & Grammars

Post by KenR »

Question to JeremyC:

I didn't pick up the clause in the White Paper about 11+ exams and Comprehensives.

Do you have a url link you can point me to with more information?

If this is correct this really is very poor and is going to disadvantage poorer families.

Thanks for the information - well spotted.
QE Dad

Education Bill

Post by QE Dad »

I think JeremyC wrote his piece last year.

The link to the Education Bill is in the General Section written by the Forum Administrator today. There is a link and explanation there.

QED