12+ or Transfer appeal

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now

12+ or Transfer appeal

Post by Guest »

Hi, My son came home from school this week (grammar) saying that his friend in his class had just passed the 12+ and was going to move to JHGS. I thought once in Grammar if you were unhappy and wanted to move you had to do a transfer appeal and not retake the 12+ exam but my son is adament that he took this and said he even got a beeter mark in his 12+ than 11+. Can this be right?

Thanks

Ruby[/b]

Post by Guest »

Does it matter?

Post by Guest »

Thank you so much to the guest above - very useful answer :roll: It may not matter to you but i would like to know the answer as i have a child about to go through this process this year and one of the main questions it raises for me is that if a child is at a non selective school and passes his 12+ and another is already in a different Grammar but not happy and there are a limited number of places available in a given Grammar school who takes priority - the successful 12+ candidate or a transfer appeal.

Ruby
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Ruby

Yes - a really useful reply there. :roll:

Your original supposition is correct - no child already at a Bucks GS would sit the 12+. The 11+ and 12+ are simply tests that deem the child either suitable or unsuitable for a GS education. Once inside the Bucks GS system no child would even be allowed to sit the 12+ as there would be no point in doing so!

The friend may well be moving to JHGS as a result of a transfer appeal, but he certainly hasn't taken the 12+, and the talk of "having scored more highly in the 12+ than the 11+" is obviously his way of explaining the move, saving face and all the rest of it. Maybe he is moving because of bullying, maybe the parents have forced the move on him because they are unhappy with your present GS ... who knows? If he is having to boast and fib about it, I fear he isn't a very happy bunny.

Whether a transfer appeal or a 12+ candidate takes priority would, I think, depend on the timing of the transfer appeal. Except in an urgent case (severe bullying, medical reasons or newly diagnosed special needs for example) I am guessing that both types of appeal would be heard at the same time and the decision made on the usual criteria.

An interesting question though, and one that hasn't come up before as far as I can recall - perhaps Etienne or Guest55 know the definitive answer?

Sally-Anne
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I have dealt with transfers from another Grammar - it does depend on whether there are places and what time of year it is. You need to contact Admissions [with all the usual warnings about a 'belt and braces' approach i.e. get them to put any answer in writing] and request a transfer - we just needed a reference. I did try to check that the reason was genuine and that the child had not been 'asked to leave' the current school. [yes it does happen]
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Ruby and Sally-Anne

I know it is not relevent in this case [moving to JHGS] However should the child be in a grammar and wish to move to a Foundation Grammar School [RGS and Beaconsfiled High] then these schools are within their rights to ask the child sit an entrance exam.

Patricia
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear Ruby

A perfectly reasonable question.

I don't know if there's been a change, but as far as I know transfers between grammar schools have always been with the agreement of the "requested" school, if there are places available. The requested grammar school would almost certainly seek a reference from the other grammar school, and might choose to set some tests to see how the pupil would fit in (not, I assume, to determine whether he/she is qualified).

If there are no places available at the preferred grammar school (either for someone seeking a transfer from another grammar school, or for a successful 12+ candidate), parents could go to appeal. In the event of a successful transfer appeal, the question "Who gets priority?" doesn't really apply, because places offered on appeal are additional to the admission number and legally binding.
Etienne

Post by Guest »

Hi to All, Thanks to everyone who answered (except the 1st guest obviously :roll: )Things are definately clearer for me - not sure on my sons friends exact situation ( maybe there is more to it as you say) but at least my understanding is better for my childs sake (should the situation arise!!)
Thanks Again

Ruby
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now