Did you find out your child's CAT Score

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
4boysmom

Did you find out your child's CAT Score

Post by 4boysmom »

And are you willing to share it and which school they got into please?

Hello *waves* btw
FluffyCat

Re: Did you find out your child's CAT Score

Post by FluffyCat »

There's some discussion on this on page 14 of the Glos forum (Oct 2010). It centres around the relationship of CAT scores to gaining grammar school places. I think it is in stanine terms rather than actual figures...
FluffyCat

Post by FluffyCat »

Just found this in a thread further down...might be some help! It does correspond with what my dc got and where she went...but i'm sure someone else will have an opinion!

2008-9
School Average CAT Score
Pate's 125.6
STR 120.8
HSFG 119.4
SHS 117.4
Marling 115.1
Crypt 113.4
Ribston 112
County avg 101.7
neveragain*

Post by neveragain* »

Hi,

My DS went to Crypt and his CAT score was above the Pates average one. However, we are very happy with the school so far! It is perfect for him! It will be interesting to see what his baseline CAT score this year in Yr 7 was - they did CAtS this week......

My DD also scored highly but also passed for Pates although went to SHS.

I don't know what to make of the scores really as they seem to reflect what I see of their ability whereas DS didn't have such a great day on 11 plus day. Great believer in making what happens work though and as I say LOVING THE CRYPT!
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

She didn't have CATs tests so don't know, although I would have loved to.
platypus

Post by platypus »

r
Last edited by platypus on Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4boysmom

Post by 4boysmom »

Thank you very much.
My son is just doing his CATs and after looking around Pates REALLY wants to go and I just wanted to see how much of a chance he'd have (although I know it wont be a guaranteed).
Orson

Post by Orson »

CATs assess potential. A score over 110 approx indicates that 'going for grammar', which must include some degree of preparation, is worth considering.
4boysmom

Post by 4boysmom »

CATs work out IQ scores and children need an IQ of over 110 to pass the entrance exam. I'm aware of that.
I just wondered how different the CATs results were for each of the schools as my son really wants to go to Pates and if say most children had a CAT score of let's say 130 to get in and his was only 120 (I don't know yet what it is) then I didn't want to get his hopes up.

Thanks for your help.
Sabanna

Post by Sabanna »

4boysmom my DD1 got a lower than expected CAT's result and if I had known about this forum when we first started looking at Grammar schools for her I may have persuaded her not to go any further on that result (although I don't think I would have). However, she got into Pates (in the top 120) and she is doing exceptionally well there.

Much like any test, I really think it depends on all sorts of factors on the day they take it.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now