Allocation of places and preferences query

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Vio125

Allocation of places and preferences query

Post by Vio125 »

I have a query regarding scores in the test and preferences on the form that needs to be submitted by 31 October 2012.

I have set out a scenario below as my query is probably more easily explained by an example.

Child scores 215 for HSFG and 228 for RIB. Clearly very close to the pass mark for HSFG and no idea how many girls will have met the pass mark and exceeded 215.

If you include HSFG as your first choice school and RIB as your second choice and there are 120 girls who achieved more than 215 for HSFG then :-

1. does your 1st choice place automatically become RIB and your child will receive a place at RIB provided 228 puts you in the top 120 for RIB; OR

2. does RIB remain your 2nd choice - will RIB look at the 1st choices and if they fill all their places on 1st choice your child will not get a place at RIB, even if they scored higher in the test than the girls who included RIB as their 1st choice?

Just trying to get my head around the system before end of October!

All responses gratefully received.

Thanks
DC17C

Re: Allocation of places and preferences query

Post by DC17C »

Option 1: Should your DD not qualify for HSFG she would then automatically go into the allocation for a place at Ribston. My Dd has just started at Ribston - she is loving it.
pixiequeen

Post by pixiequeen »

Your first option - RIB becomes your first choice if you aren't offered a place at HSFG. None of the schools know whereabouts on your list of preferences you have put them and certainly aren't allowed to discriminate against you because you put them second rather than first. So - put your choices down in your genuine order of preference.

HTH

Pixiequeen
Vio125

Post by Vio125 »

Thanks very much for prompt response - very clear and better than I thought! Glad your daughter is enjoying Ribston.
littlebaker

Post by littlebaker »

I don't understand though. Surely all of the schools allocate at the same time so whilst HSFG are allocating (and possibly turning down your daughter) aren't Ribston allocating and thus will be full by the time you discover you have been turned down by your first choice? This is so confusing.
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

littlebaker wrote:I don't understand though. Surely all of the schools allocate at the same time so whilst HSFG are allocating (and possibly turning down your daughter) aren't Ribston allocating and thus will be full by the time you discover you have been turned down by your first choice? This is so confusing.
When you have submitted your CAF in October the local authority looks at it and then notifies the schools on your CAF of your interest (and your details).

The schools then apply their entrance criteria to all the children to have applied to it by the deadline and rank them according to the criteria. The schools then return their ranking lists to the LEA.

The LEA ends up, therefore, with a list from each school and a list from each parent. Its job is to compare those lists and allocate accordingly. It's all done by computer and, presumably by complicated software, but be assured that it does work and, even if the OP's daughter does not score highly enough for HSFG, she will still get her place at Ribston in accordance with the ranking, even above someone else who put Ribston first but who scored lower.

I think the point to note is that it's not the schools who do the allocating - it's the LEA. They hold all the information in order to do the job properly. They then let the schools know to whom places have been allocated.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

What is the 'pass mark' for Denmark road?
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

stroudydad wrote:What is the 'pass mark' for Denmark road?
Apparently it is still a standardised score of 210.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

TraffordMum wrote:It's all done by computer and, presumably by complicated software, but be assured that it does work
I did ask how the software worked - for the algolrhythm - but no-one at Shire Hall could tell me that; they just buy the software in from Capita, I think. I wasn't being suspicious, and I've never seen any evidence that it doesn't work correctly - I was just curious.

The software will start by allocating any 'looked after' children who have passed for an 11+ school with a place at their 1st preference. It will then start with the child/children with the highest 11+ score and allocate them their 1st preference., then work down the children giving them their 1st choice unless the schools are by that point full with 1st choices with scores higher than your child - at which point the 1st preference disappears and your 2nd preference pops to the top of your list.

If, after looking round the schools, you think that - say - Ribston would suit your daughter better than HSFG, then make that your first choice. All the grammar schools are good, all cope well with bright and very bright children, so it really comes down to which school will suit your daughter best.

Glad I don't have to worry about it any more :-)
Capers
littlebaker

Post by littlebaker »

I was just starting to understand things and then capers came on and I'm worried/confused again. From what you're saying capers it sounds as if the OP could lose their Ribston place if enough girls beat her DD into HSFG by having a higher score and (at the same time from what you're saying) enough passes for Ribston have been allocated that as their own 1st preference and it is then full. Maybe I'm missing something. Would the OP have to rely on Ribston not being full after all 1st preferences are allocated? If this is the case that sounds a bit of a risk.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now