'rewards' for passing - peer pressure

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
CoffeeCup

'rewards' for passing - peer pressure

Post by CoffeeCup »

Hello, I've been reading for a while but not posted before. My son took the tests this week. We are faily new to the area and are learning how others deal with 11+ etc.

I was shocked last night to hear from my son what 'rewards' children in his school were promised for passing the 11+. Ipads, iphone 5s, cash. Now this could all be kid talk but I really hadn't given it a thought.

Is is really what is 'expected'? (he is at a state primary, not a fee paying school).
GPmum

Re: 'rewards' for passing - peer pressure

Post by GPmum »

Welcome coffeecup!

My DC also attend a state school, where there is no expectation for a reward.
Having said that, I told DD she could have a phone for when she starts secondary school

I would quite like an iPad myself before DD has one :!: :!:

We are having some retail therapy together at Bluewater tomorrow and a meal out, which will be her "reward" for working so hard.

Not sure what others are planning :?:
U400JB9

Post by U400JB9 »

DD2 is having a phone ( bog standard, PAYG) as a reward FOR DOING HER BEST...not for passing. As she`ll need one anyway as she has to travel to whichever secondary school she will attend, its not really a reward.

her other reward, for trying hard, is a sleepover tonight with her girlies, all of who took the KT too.......I suspect it will be quite loud...... :shock:
Loosemummy

Post by Loosemummy »

Hi Coffeecup!

New poster and long time lurker here!
I've been hearing about these reward presents too for results day.
I am so so proud of DS and am always telling him so and I will be treating him this weekend for all his hard work and preparation, was thinking along the lines of Chinese takeaway in front of X-factor or something though not an IPad!!!
I will not be getting a present if he passes though and I don't think(!) he will be expecting one either. I want him to know we are proud of him just for trying his best, nothing else.

:D
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Sorry to butt into a Kent thread. I always reward the effort, not the outcome. I was horrified to hear of one of DS's friend who was promised a pet if he passed. A pet???? :shock: DS got a new tennis racquet for all his hard work (he needed on anyway :oops: ). Another friend told me she always gives her daughter £10 per A grade on her report I asked what she would do if her son, a few years younger, wasn't the A grade type,but nevertheless performed well for him. She hadn't thought of that!
scary mum
CoffeeCup

Post by CoffeeCup »

Phew! That's all so good to hear!

My son knows that when he has to get the bus to school, ie next Sep, he can have a phone but he doesn't need one now. (phones for 11 year olds - where on earth to start?)

I love the idea of retail therapy at Bluewater - but having sons my two hate shopping!

I really love the post about a reward for 'doing their best' - that's the best attititude i think.

Maybe we'll go to pizza express this weekend :) although a takeaway in front of x factor ia also appealing!

Thanks for the welcome.

PS anyone else quietly counting the days until 17 Oct?

PPS a pet?!?!
Loosemummy

Post by Loosemummy »

Loving the idea of a sleepover too U400jb9! Such a great idea especially getting all their friend involved, might have to use that idea for DC 1&2 in the years to come-if I'm not put off for life after the results come in :lol:

Really...a pet??!! :shock:
U400JB9

Post by U400JB9 »

Loosemummy wrote:Loving the idea of a sleepover too U400jb9! Such a great idea especially getting all their friend involved, might have to use that idea for DC 1&2 in the years to come-if I'm not put off for life after the results come in :lol:

Ask me is its a fabulous idea tomorrow morning :?
No they deserve it, there are only 6 girls in her class......and they`ve all worked hard together.....
Manana

Post by Manana »

I don't even know when to 'treat' DS!

The 11+ is next Saturday, the 'results' come out next month-but with only a 'last year, before the catchment completely changed, this score would have got you a place' sort of answer, or March 1st when the results/school allocations come out!!?

I think, probably next Saturday, but I was thinking along the lines of a meal out for all of us rather than something specific!?
twinkles

Post by twinkles »

My DS did the 11+ three years ago and was bought a very cheap (£20) PAYG phone for the effort he put into it. He missed the pass mark by 3 points, went to HT appeal and an appeal by me but wasn't deemed selective for grammar, despite having very strong extenuating circumstances, support from school and very high level 5 CAT results.