Can someone explain to me about grades for GCSE modules?

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

muffinmonster

Can someone explain to me about grades for GCSE modules?

Post by muffinmonster »

Something I don't understand fully:

When you sit a GCSE module you are given a mark and a grade. Are the grades purely notional? Because I assume that to get the final grade they add up the marks for the various modules and award a grade in line with the grade boundaries for the total marks. So suppose you get a B for one module but are only one mark short of an A, you could easily get an A in the final exam, provided that your other modules were comfortably above the A boundary.

This seems self-evident as I write it, but my DD got a B (one mark short of an A) in an English module and is talking about having it remarked. So I am wondering why, as it's only one mark and surely the grade for the individual module doesn't matter? (Though of couse every mark helps!)
Guest55

Re: Can someone explain to me about grades for GCSE modules?

Post by Guest55 »

It's the UMS that are important not just the grade. You are correct that a B in one module might be one mark short of an A so a good mark in future module will push up the overall grade.

Think very hard before a re-sit because it puts additional pressure on future exams. We don't recommend resits in the case you describe.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

agreed MM and G55 - reckon retakes are only on the cards if it is going to make a significant difference to the number of UMS on offer at the eventual point of totting up the scores.... You don't want to be in the position of having to get 120% in the final module to get the grade you desire !

we have had some "interesting" module grades ... including a classy "U" in one A level :lol: :lol: - still get a good A at A2 though :wink:
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moved

Post by moved »

The anecdotal evidence that I have heard is that initially English marks moved significantly, but are no longer doing so.

This year I have heard of far more remarks moving significantly than in the last few years. It isn't common for schools to send off an entire cohort to have it remarked and this is happening in several schools that I know of across a variety of subjects.

I was glad that we requested an RE remark in this house as DS moved from a B to an A.
muffinmonster

Post by muffinmonster »

Thanks all for your answers - they are reassuring. I don't now whether DD was expecting a high A, though I do know that her teacher is pretty disappointed with the marks overall. I'll have to find out whether she thinks it's worth applying for a remark, but I don't think we'd consider a resit.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Deadline for requesting a re-mark is very soon.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now