Applying with special needs

Advice on Special Needs and the 11 Plus Exams

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ginx

Applying with special needs

Post by ginx »

My dd has diabetes.

When submitting our chosen schools, I obviously put our grammar school first (perhaps I've applied too early as I doubt she has passed).

On the application online, I had to state why I had chosen those schools.

Should I have added we chose this school first because it is small and closest to home, both useful because of her diabetes? Her next option is a good school - but it is huge and slightly further away, so any diabetes related problems are more difficult to deal with, for the school, my dd, and myself.

We do not want to mention diabetes in applying - but what does anybody think? Advice would be gratefully received.
tigger2

Re: Applying with special needs

Post by tigger2 »

Hi Ginx,

I added additional info (it was optional for us) as to why we wanted each school. With regards the school that you prefer do they have a priority in their oversubscription criteria for health reasons/pastoral care reasons? Some schools do and even if they don't I think that it is certainly worth adding this information anyway-it is after all an important reason why you prefer this school for your dc.

Hope this helps!
Tigger
ginx

Post by ginx »

Thanks, tigger.

We had just never wanted to use dd's diabetes as an excuse for anything, it sort of feels like cheating.

However, likewise, it is true. I don't drive, when she is unwell/needs supplies (the latter is more frequent, thank goodness), I currently walk to school ... I could easily get to her first choice ... she would be nearer home and it would be easier for everyone concerned.

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to include the information.

Thanks for your opinion. I will look up the school's oversubscription criteria. She hasn't even passed! but can't hurt to be prepared I suppose.

Thanks once again.
penguin

Post by penguin »

Hi Ginx

I think you should definitely include that information.

I have two daughters, the younger one has a physical impairment which seems to be ignored by everyone that knows her but as she is growing older she is more aware of her own looks and wants to be more like everyone else.

When I was applying to primary and Junior schools for her, I included that as a reason for her to go to the same school as her older sister so that she would feel safer, have someone she knows there and I even wrote that my older would be a reliable and more instant source of info if her younger sis was being bullied.

I understand your reason for hesitating about including the diabetes - after all the DCs need to make their own way in the world with whatever hand they've been dealt.

I would, however, always, put these factors down as they do form part of our decision making process for our children.

Good luck :)
ginx

Post by ginx »

Thanks, penguin.

You have found the words I'm looking for - she has to make her own way in the world, with her diabetes.

I'm going to include the information. In the unlikely event anyone even looks, they can always disregard it.

Hope both your daughters are ok. Life is hard. Children do want to look like everyone else, I feel for her - and you, as a parent.

Thank you.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Oddly enough, the question is only there on the application form because the law says it must be!

It's unlikely anyone will examine any reasons you give (at the admissions stage anyway).

Some schools have an 'exceptional social/medical criterion' in among their admission rules, but this is usually applied very strictly (i.e. no other school could possibly meet the child's needs), and evidence from an appropriate professional (e.g. hospital consultant, educational psychologist) would be required to support this.

Reasons on the application form might be looked at at an appeal, but it depends whether the CAF form is included in the appeal papers - there will be many non-LA appeals where it isn't available.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a27" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
ginx

Post by ginx »

Thanks, Etienne. I suspect you are right and at this stage, when who knows if she's passed, who will be interested anyway?

But later that might be different. It would be a lot easier if as suspected she just didn't pass. She keeps telling me she definitely hasn't so perhaps I should believe her.

But if she is on a border line maybe diabetes could be relevant. Thank you.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now