Advice from the medics please!!

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
bondgirl

Advice from the medics please!!

Post by bondgirl »

Disaster! DS has woken up this morning with a sore throat and high temperature. We have the Bexley tests tomorrow and Wednesday :cry: I really do not want to delay the tests, if at all possible, for all our sakes. He is eating breakfast and has gone from horizontal to sitting on the sofa after the initial Calpol dose. I'm hoping to send him in albeit dosed up on Calpol/Ibuprofen. Are either likely to affect performance?

Any advice gratefully received.
Minesatea

Re: Advice from the medics please!!

Post by Minesatea »

No experience of Bexley but when DD sat her 11 plus in Essex we were asked to sign a form, when we dropped her off, stating that she was well and fit to sit the exam.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Neither ibuprofen nor paracetamol will sedate, if that is what you mean Bondgirl? They will bring down a temperature and make him more comfortable for a few hours. My DS1 sat his GS entrance exam ( the in-year one) in such a state - it lasted 3 hours and he was definitely jaded by the last hour and came home and flaked out. But like you we wanted it over with.

Do you have a friendly local GP who could testify that he is unwell but ok to do the tests? Might be useful in an appeal if it comes to it?

Best of luck- lots of fluids today and feed him anything he will eat!
bondgirl

Post by bondgirl »

Thanks Amber. He seems to have picked up a bit since this morning, so will carry on with the Calpol/Nurofen and see how he is this evening. An early night and fingers crossed he'll be ok for the morning.

The Bexley joining instructions say not to send your child if they are unwell. The assumption must be that if you send your child in to sit the test, you must deem them fit enough to do it.

Right, off to stock up on medicine!
Amber

Post by Amber »

How was he, Bondgirl?
bondgirl

Post by bondgirl »

Hi Amber :) He did the tests, albeit with a runny nose and sore throat. By the end of Monday, when I'd kept him off school to rest, he was bouncing off the walls with boredom so I decided to send him in.

I don't think his performance will have been affected and if it was, it's too late to worry about it! I think we're both just very relieved to have it all done and dusted. Thanks for asking :D