Do headteachers find out results beforehand?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

palacebelle

Do headteachers find out results beforehand?

Post by palacebelle »

Hello

Im still fairly new to the site and the 11 plus process in general. I remember reading somewhere on here that headteachers find out the results beforehand - can someone explain to me (or if there is a link) why that is? I am currently in Devon (moving back to Kent soon) and my DD was the only one in her whole school to take the Kent test over the weekend so am wondering what the headteacher will be required to do.

Many thanks
:?
neurotic kent mum

Re: Do headteachers find out results beforehand?

Post by neurotic kent mum »

I believe that the headteachers get the results in a couple of weeks. This is to enable tham to appeal if a child does not do as well as expected. They tend to take in pupils books to submit to an appeal panel. I am sure someone on this site knows more about this
kingsgen

Post by kingsgen »

I think it is headteacher review instead of appeal.
anotherworriedmum

Post by anotherworriedmum »

This is my experience which might help, one of my children had a headteacher review as he did not get the score expected. The HT writes a short report and then submits the child's books to a panel who decide if he should be deemed suitable for a GS place. I have a friend whose child spectacularly bombed the test last year but "passed" the HT review so when they got the Kent test results there were deemed GS suitable, even though they had a very low score. There is a section on this site here about it http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... nt-11-plus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can then, as we did, go to appeal on grounds of non-qualification even if you "fail" the HT appeal so I think that option is open to all, although you can't go to appeal until after allocation.

Hope that helps and happy to be corrected if anyone has more inside knowledge, this is just my experience.
palacebelle

Post by palacebelle »

anotherworriedmum wrote:This is my experience which might help, one of my children had a headteacher review as he did not get the score expected. The HT writes a short report and then submits the child's books to a panel who decide if he should be deemed suitable for a GS place. I have a friend whose child spectacularly bombed the test last year but "passed" the HT review so when they got the Kent test results there were deemed GS suitable, even though they had a very low score. There is a section on this site here about it http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... nt-11-plus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can then, as we did, go to appeal on grounds of non-qualification even if you "fail" the HT appeal so I think that option is open to all, although you can't go to appeal until after allocation.

Hope that helps and happy to be corrected if anyone has more inside knowledge, this is just my experience.
Thats great, thanks everyone. I thought I had read it somewhere anotherworriedmum so many thanks for posting that link for me! :D
LtBrick

Post by LtBrick »

Do Medway have a HT review? i.e. DS is at a Kent school and is sitting both Kent and Medway tests. I understand there can be a HT review for children in Kent school doing the Kent test, but when the head of a Kent school also get the chance to ask for a HT review of a Medway test result?

Does this also work the other way for Medway children who sit the Kent test?
Samlet

Post by Samlet »

From the Medway side of the fence, there is a review after the result comes out which is quite like the HT review in that the school seems to have to support it and the review is purely on the school work submitted, but it is more public as the Medway results come out earlier and the review happens soon after the results. Details here http://www.medway.gov.uk/pdf/MedwaySecondaryAdm.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But, I'm not sure that Medway HT get to do a review on the Kent test. In my DD school, they don't even know which DC are doing the Kent test. There certainly wasn't any mention of it when my DS took the Kent test 2 years ago.

On the other hand, they must get the marks direct as I now recall a note congratulating my DS for his pass mark - which I definitely hadn't disclosed to the school!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I am not completely sure but I would have thought that it only applies to Kent Schools and Kent Test as Medway is a separate authority
GPmum

Post by GPmum »

Samlet - the Medway results come out much quicker than here on this side of the fence in Kent :!:

Wish our results were known that soon..............
tonbridgemum

Post by tonbridgemum »

Our year 6 teacher said they find out a week before we do. That doesnt give them long does it!! My son went through a HT appeal after 'failing' by one point. Most HT will only appeal on your behalf if they have overwhelming evidence of high scores in NFER/CAT tests and written work they can show to a panel if necessary. This is another reason why most schools are keen to keep track of progress and ability.
I still have my recurring flashback to when my son came out of school and said his Literacy, Maths and History books had disappeared.... :shock: