GCSEs to be replaced by EBac

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

moseleymum

GCSEs to be replaced by EBac

Post by moseleymum »

It's been announced that GCSEs are to be scrapped with those starting Yr 7 this year to be the first to do the new exam:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-19626663" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thoughts?
Guest55

Re: GCSEs to be replaced by EBac

Post by Guest55 »

It is all a bit premature as we have not even tried the linear GCSEs yet as these courses only started a few weeks ago! The 'new GCSE courses' address many of the issues of retakes and modules.

However, I do agree with only one exam board though but wait anxiously to see the length of final exams.
Last edited by Guest55 on Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I'm also a bit confused as they sound the same as the linear exams anyway! Also, I think it is a bit confusing calling it the EBacc (no encouragement for Wales or NI to join in, then?) as that is what they are currently calling a collection of GCSEs, but they aren't planning on changing them all at once. It implies something likea school leaving certificate where you have to gain qualifications in a certain range of subjects, but it appears that the whole system is being called the Ebacc. So, I have DD who had taken GCSEs in the year where everyone has put them down and said what rubbish they are (they may well, be, but they are all she was faced with and worked hard), DS1 who will be the second year of the linear exams, and DS2 who will be the first year of the Ebacc, in some subjects. No chance for me to become an expert then. At least the DCs won't be able to compare themselves to each other :D .
scary mum
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

I am sooooooo glad I have no more children coming through the system.

Why is it necessary to change everything every 12 months ? I think these people are all mad :shock:
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

don't panic, it will have changed against least twice before 2015...hang onto your hat for the next 'initiative' or 'strategy'
penguin

Post by penguin »

scary mum wrote: It implies something likea school leaving certificate
I read IKEA school leaving certificate :shock:
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

It won't happen unless the next government most likely a Lib/Lab coalition agree to agree.

Why can't politicians subscribe to the process of evolution not revolution. oh I remember, headlines and votes. :roll:
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

The school my oldest goes to follows the iGCSE course anyway (he is now in Yr 8 so is the last year of the "old" system). Won't that be similar to what they are proposing? He will follow that with the IB.

My others will be doing completely different courses depending on what the Goverment proposes for revamping the current GCSE/A level system. It looks like a bit of a mess. Maybe IKEA should be involved..... :roll:
Paramjeet

Post by Paramjeet »

Is iGCSE modular and assessment based like GCSE?
EmeraldE

Education Reform Plans, GCSE / E-BACC

Post by EmeraldE »

[merged from second thread]

Well it appears the Ebacc is 'in' and GCSE 'out' from 2017 (to come into effect for this years Year 7 on a rolling programme)
Good or bad?? I am relieved my kids in current y8 and 9 hence missing the change to single exam at end of 2 years. I am sure that the copious A* and A grades will be no more once the system changes. Poor kids, goal posts keep moving!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-19626663" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;