Will there be a change of exam format in Gloucestershire?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Ginnie71

Will there be a change of exam format in Gloucestershire?

Post by Ginnie71 »

Hello!

I've been enjoying reading and learning from other threads all over this website. Quite a few mention a change in exam format, often from NVR/ VR to dropping those and/ or including a maths/ comprehension/ essay as well. Does anyone know if there are similar plans for the grammar school exam in Gloucestershire?
Ginnie71

Re: Will there be a change of exam format in Gloucestershire

Post by Ginnie71 »

Anyone? Has this not been discussed at all; or been rejected? It just seemed interesting that so many boroughs seemed to be discussing it or taking action but I couldn't find anything on it in Gloucestershire.
Amber

Post by Amber »

As far as I am aware, there has been no recent discussion of this kind here. What I do know is that once you are past Year 7 intake, in-year admission applicants are not given a VR test, but are tested by the schools themselves on curriculum based work. One admissions officer (not in Gloucs) told me that they prefer that as they can choose what they get then, not just a bunch of children who are very good at VR and not necessarily at anything else. She described the VR test as 'a blunt instrument' which does not always lead to the kind of intake you want. But as far as I know, unless as they have all gone the academy route they decide to break out of the cartel, none of the county's grammars has any plans to change.
Ginnie71

Post by Ginnie71 »

I see: thanks, Amber, for responding. I think I read somewhere on that the grammar schools who are now academies have to pay to administer their own 11+ tests, but perhaps those costs are cut if they still agree to share in the same 11+ process? It seems to work for the schools, after all; they are clearly all terrific.
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Amber wrote:As far as I am aware, there has been no recent discussion of this kind here. What I do know is that once you are past Year 7 intake, in-year admission applicants are not given a VR test, but are tested by the schools themselves on curriculum based work. One admissions officer (not in Gloucs) told me that they prefer that as they can choose what they get then, not just a bunch of children who are very good at VR and not necessarily at anything else. She described the VR test as 'a blunt instrument' which does not always lead to the kind of intake you want. But as far as I know, unless as they have all gone the academy route they decide to break out of the cartel, none of the county's grammars has any plans to change.
I remember one of the mums at our old school who was saying that in order to get her son into Pates he was tutored and was doing VR work twice a day - it was delivered with such pride that I felt really inadequate that I was home tutoring and just giving DD papers at weekends and once in the week. Unfortuantely the poor chap really struggled at Pates for quite a while; I felt desperately sorry for him. I think if you need to train to that level, maybe Pates/grammar isn't the place for your child?
Orson

Post by Orson »

So true :roll: