Numbers?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
AliceM

Numbers?

Post by AliceM »

Hi, does anyone know how many girls sat the Newport Girls High exam please? A friend of mine wanted a little information. I have been told that there were around 450 boys who sat the Adams test.

How did everyone's DC's think they had done? My DS said it was hard and didn't think he had passed. The hardest, in his opinion was actually the VR rather than Maths. We are all very relieved it is done and dusted!! Keen to hear from fellow Wolves/Wrekin/Walsall consortium posters! Thank you. :D
AVNI

Re: Numbers?

Post by AVNI »

Hi, I am sorry i dont't know about numbers, but what books did you use to help your DS. I am also in the same area and hoping to apply for Adams for my DS but i am stuck where to begin. Do you know any tutors can you pm me if you do.

Thanks
Bubble

Post by Bubble »

Hi AliceM

I don’t know what the numbers sitting Newport were, but my DD sat the QM exam and over 700 girls were there on the day. She came out smiling, but admitted that this was more from relief that it was over than from anything else. Generally from what I can make out, DD felt that it was hard but OK and did have to make a few guesses. The main issue was having enough time and only just managed to complete in the time allocated. From what I’ve gathered from a number of other parents, no-one’s DC has said that either of the consortium exams were easy and they all struggled on certain sections in either Maths or VR. Try not to worry too much, we all seem to be in the same boat & nervously waiting.
AliceM

Post by AliceM »

Hi Bubble, thanks for your post. It is so quiet on here re Walsall/Wolves/Wrekin! Yes we are all nervously waiting. Not sure about Walsall but we haven't been given a definitive date when the letter is due to be sent informing if DC is grammar school material or not. What we have been told is that the papers have been sent for marking and the results will be back before October. The school will then send letters to the parents. :)

AVNI, we used the Bond books - 10 min tests. We also purchased quite a number of Letts 50 minute exam papers but have to say we didn't do too many of these as that doesn't reflect the Durham CEM style. I would suggest you check out the stickys at the top of this regions forum. My only other suggestion would be to encourage your DC to read as much as possible. Hope this helps!? Good luck for next year!
vza

Post by vza »

AliceM,

Last Monday (open evening for year 7 parents) the head teacher said, "300 girls took the NGHS (Newport) test", which is very similar to last year.

VZA
AliceM

Post by AliceM »

VZA, thank you for your update. I have passed on the information to my friend.

Some additional news - I have found out from AGS that the letter due shortly will NOT tell you your DCs rank in the cohort. All she would say is it will give you a 'good indication' as to where to place AGS on your school preferences for the local authority. Sufficiently vague response!! I did try and ask what the meant by good indication and I was told if I wasn't sure when I got the letter to give them a ring!!!! :evil:

The only other thing she said was that all the letters sent re the Wolves/Walsall/Wrekin consortium would be the same.

I would be interested to hear if anyone else has been told something different. Time will tell I suppose. I couldn't bear to ask when they were going to send letters. Don't really want any advance warning!!

:shock: :lol:
vza

Post by vza »

AliceM,

I would have been very surprised if they would give the ranks. If rank orders are given, those parents who know how the allocation process works gain unfair advantage.

I think the most likely wording will be; Grammar School Ability, Boarder Line Ability and Not Grammar School Ability, with a caveat that this is not an offer of a place at the school.

VZA
MSD

Post by MSD »

AliceM,

I called QM, Walsall this morning regarding the results. According to them they haven't yet received the marked papers back, so weren't sure when the results will be sent out.

MSD
Professor Yaffle

Post by Professor Yaffle »

Looks like consortium results are out on the 15th October. Not long to wait now :D
Good luck to all
AliceM

Post by AliceM »

Thanks Professor Yaffle. I read your post under QM Walsall results about information on the AGS website. For whatever reason I had given up looking there to get details!! Never mind not too much longer now although not telling my DS when the results are expected as don't want him worrying. :shock:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now