Right to privacy over SATs results?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Out-of-area

Right to privacy over SATs results?

Post by Out-of-area »

Apparently in my child's school the KS2 SATs results will be given out verbally in front of the whole class so of course everyone will know what everyone gets. (The results are also given to the parents via the end-of-term report). Imagine if 11 plus scores were given out so publicly! I want to know whether this should be allowed and if there is a data protection issue. I would imagine that the children have the right to privacy where their results are concerned. I have asked around about other local schools and they all seem to get the results within the report which seems preferable to me. What do others think?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

This is awful!! As a teacher I think it very unfair to do this - I would go in and see the Head and insist that my child's results were NOT read out.
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

If you feel very strongly about this, I'd suggest writing a letter to the teacher advising him/her that you want your childs SAT's scores to remain private.
Schools have a duty to respond back to any written letter.
In my experience parents usually receive a positive outcome from writing in, probably more so now, as this letter will be seen as evidence ofsted can view and can question. Therefore it can be viewed as how the school is responding to parents (stakeholders) issues.

At our school children will gossip, and so scores are found out even though results are only given to parents in the end of term report. :?

Good Luck

BW
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now