New Heads All Round

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Turtlegirl

New Heads All Round

Post by Turtlegirl »

I've been to 3 Open Evening/Mornings this week. Phew. And in two of the three schools (Fiveways and Bishop Vesey) there is a new headteacher. There are also new heads at Handsworth Grammar and KE Handsworth this year. There's been quite a turnover.

Anyone know anything about how this is likely to affect the schools? I note that both the new head at Fiveways & at Handsworth Grammar are both ex-Fiveways, and the other two schools have promoted the deputy head to head.
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Re: New Heads All Round

Post by DIY Mum »

I can already see the effects at KEVIHS... :evil: silly policies regarding homework being set and to be handed in immediately the next day which leaves (especially those in y7) quite stressed or tired, and with some dc missing out on 'after-school' clubs etc. Not a major issue however, as there is still a lot of good under the current leadership.

The new head at HG can only be a good thing. On speculation, there has been five years of consistently bad results and performance at HG, resulting in a Head 'retiring'. Hopefully, the effect of a new and more effective leadership will result in consistent improvement in years to come, and thereby retaining their grammar school status.
Turtlegirl

Post by Turtlegirl »

My daughter has just started at KEVIHS. Her homework load seems to have been okay so far, with only a couple of (pretty easy) next day hand-ins. She had a maths meltdown one evening but the school handled it very well and responded promptly to my request to ensure she was moved to the front in her classes to avoid distraction. My daughter hasn't clocked on about any after school clubs at KEVIHS. Which are those?!
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

Meant non school based clubs i.e. not at KEVIHS. :lol:

Yes, KEVIHS do usually handle things very well. Infact, out of the 3 KE Schools that I'm familiar with, they are the most organised. Hopefully, it will stay that way. :) This year not only marks a new Head but also, the fact that there is a higher staff turnover at KEVIHS than usual.
Turtlegirl

Post by Turtlegirl »

Ah. We've had to reassess after school stuff too. But it is on a day that she had two activities in the evening and there was barely time to eat tea, so it's probably a good thing!
Fermion

Post by Fermion »

Not sure if it's due to the priorities set by the new head, but the information sent out to KEFW parents this year is very poor.

If you check out the KEFW website this has hardly been updated since last June/July 2012. The future dates (where parents evenings and open days are meant to be pubished is still showing 2011/2012). Parents still haven't been told the dates for parents evenings this year.

A lot of L6 parents (me included) complained in June when they stopped all teaching after AS exams in May

These are basics that need to be corrected
Professor Yaffle

Post by Professor Yaffle »

There is also a new head at Wolverhampton Girls High this year-there must be something in the water :)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now