slough vr test 22/9/2012

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

lubib

slough vr test 22/9/2012

Post by lubib »

I want to share this with parents who children sat yesterday's slough test.

my son sat the nvr&vr test yesterday. he was prevented from 'scribling' on the questions sheet and he was given 1 sheet of blank a4 paper to do any scribling.

he complained to me that it was akward to solve vr problems like codes, sequences and the ones that involve technique.

he attends a bucks primary school and we are targeting a bucks grammar school. he did a lot of familirazation tests in his primary school and he was told that in the real exam he will be allowed to scrible on the questions sheet.

in yesterdays slogh test he had to copy questions like sequences to the blank sheet and solve it there. this would have slowed him down substantialy. so for him this was like moving the goal posts at the last minute.

did anybody have a similar experience? has this ban on scribling on the question sheet always been the case? In 2008 my older son sat the same test and he scribled on the question sheet. It is allowed in buck so why the different policy in berks?

thanks
lubib
While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about.
Kendrick mum

Re: slough vr test 22/9/2012

Post by Kendrick mum »

Hi Lubib just asked my son and he says they told them not to scribble on the answer sheet. So he did his working out all over the question sheet.
:?:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The Slough 11+ has NOTHING to do with the Bucks 11+ - why would be rules be the same?
pndt.snl

Post by pndt.snl »

Hi,
My DS was given a paper to do work out & was told not to work on question paper/answe sheet.
He was used to this method,as we followed this pattern athome,so it didn't affect his speed.
Also, not sure how slough 11+ can be related to Bucks 11+...as the NVR questions ,I guess,are more in slogh 11+ as compared to Bucks 11+
Thnx
11+ novice

Post by 11+ novice »

Hi,

My DS sat the exam as well and as per him, he was given an extra sheet of paper for NVR and VR but he was allowed to do the working on question paper as well.
Browser

Post by Browser »

my son sat the slough test yesterday too and he remembers them clearly telling them that he could write on the question sheet and not the answer sheet except to mark the answers only..

they also offered extra paper if needed
i will check what his classmates thought as they sat the paper yesterday too

do you think your son may have got muddled up ,, or maybe mine did???
lubib

Post by lubib »

thanks for everbody who shared their experience. out of interest, for the parents who said their children were allowed to scribble on the question sheet, which school they had the test in? My son sat the test in Herschel. I just want to see if the rules are different between schools.

thanks
Lubib
While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about.
pndt.snl

Post by pndt.snl »

Hi,
My son also had at Herschel.
They were offered a blank sheet to work out.
yummycool

Post by yummycool »

Hi after seeing this post - asked dd and she too said that they were offered a blank sheet of paper (Herschel). She also said that this wasted her time and felt because of this time wasted that maybe she should could have done better!

Hope all the centres were the same!

Wasn't too worried before but now having a rethink!
Browser

Post by Browser »

we were at Herschel too :?
ds was in a small room with up to 10 kids only and hes sure that he heard correct

although now im not so sure :shock: