Gift for tutor

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Halemum

Gift for tutor

Post by Halemum »

Help! My DD is having her last session with her tutor on Wednesday. She has her last exam on the 6th Oct. I just wondered what the protocol is for buying gifts for the tutor? I want to thank her for the last year of work she has done with my DD but don't know what's appropriate. The tutor is female, about 40, Indian and a mother of 2 children (one at uni, one at high school.
Last edited by Halemum on Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
malibu

Re: Gift for tutor

Post by malibu »

What a nice gesture.
A bit boring, but what about a lovely thank you card and a well known department store gift voucher?
Halemum

Post by Halemum »

malibu wrote:What a nice gesture.
A bit boring, but what about a lovely thank you card and a well known department store gift voucher?
Thanks. The dilemma is how much for? Does £20 look too cheap?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

tricky with amounts - I reckon £20 is fine for a gift but other option would be flowers or chocolates...
Halemum

Post by Halemum »

Yes I was thinking of going down the flower and chocolate route As it's a safe bet but wanted to be a bit more original. I have no imagination so thought I'd pop on here for some ideas. Is everyone else giving tutors presents or am I in the minority?
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Do you give presents to your plumber, your dentist or your GP?
pinkpanther

Post by pinkpanther »

I know the tutor you are talking about; I'm very good friends with her & she is in her early 40s - she would much rather have a heartfelt 'Thank You' and a happy result for your daughter on the 1st of March.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

I'm with Mike on this.

You have paid for her servies, so unless you've become very close, or she's really gone above and beyond what you engaged her for I'd give her a thankyou card and be done with it.

*thinks really hard now* I've just had yet another birthday and fear I'm turning into a grumpy OLD woman - forgive me if the above seems too harsh :)
Halemum

Post by Halemum »

OMG! Did I write 50's!?! I really did mean 40's. She looks younger than me! How awful but it really was a typo on my silly iPad.

No, I don't give presents to my plumber or GP, but then again, they don't spend an hour with my daughter every week bringing out the best in her.

Ok, I'm going to do a really nice thank you card then. Thanks for your advice everyone.
um

Post by um »

From the 'other side of the fence' I am very grateful for all the lovely gifts my tutees gave me recently (my house was filled with flowers and I put on 4lb) but what I appreciate very much is simply a card to say thanks.
They honestly mean a lot to me; I do have a lovely simple handmade one that I've kept up for a while from a child who wrote a few lines about how I'd helped him.
I would genuinely be very embarrassed if someone gave me a gift voucher - as mike1880 pointed out, parents have already paid for tuition, so if you feel you've had a good tutor and would like to thank him/her, what would matter most (yes this is a cliché) is the thought, not the expense.
A card written by the parent or child is a lovely enough thought.