Results on the 15th?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Manana

Results on the 15th?

Post by Manana »

I was talking to one of the dads at the school earlier who was under the impression that the CSSE email we get would be a pass/fail one. I told him that I thought we would get their score and some advice, but there would be no pass/fail as this might be different for different schools depending on how many applicants there are; but we wouldn't know this until March. He then said, 'but if you've got more than 303, you've passed, haven't you!?'

Am I right -I'm starting to doubt myself!? I think there are a lot of confused people in Southend atm!
ToadMum

Re: Results on the 15th?

Post by ToadMum »

At least or those in catchment for Southend grammars and semi-selectives (apart from Cecil Jones, which potentially offers places to "near misses"), 303 is the mark below which no offer will be made. This is slightly different from the mark which the child filling the last place at a given school might be, e.g if 500 children with a score of at least 303 have requested a place at SHSB, only 150 of those can be given a place; the actual score obtained by the last one in may be 310, but that doesn't actually make the "pass mark" for SHSB 310 (especially if there are drop-outs which are then replaced with children who scored, say, 309 and 304).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
kaynor

Post by kaynor »

Min 303 should get a place. I believe SHSB is the only Southend grammar school in the past to be over subscribed with local applicants with scores 303 and above. So as ToadMum described that's what happened there. That is unusual though and even with the boundary changes 303 should get a place at one of your chosen Southend grammar schools. They usually don't get enough local appicants with 303 and above and they expect the same this year.
Manana

Post by Manana »

kaynor wrote:Min 303 should get a place. I believe SHSB is the only Southend grammar school in the past to be over subscribed with local applicants with scores 303 and above. So as ToadMum described that's what happened there. That is unusual though and even with the boundary changes 303 should get a place at one of your chosen Southend grammar schools. They usually don't get enough local appicants with 303 and above and they expect the same this year.

Typically, DS wants to go to SHSB! I wonder why that one was so popular?

So, it sounds like there won't be a pass/fail on the day, then-but will indeed be a mark and then the higher over 303, the greater the chance you have of securing a place. If you have under 303-there will be NO point in putting down any grammars on your list of 5-yes?

I just want to know now! :roll:
drew83

Post by drew83 »

Manana wrote:Typically, DS wants to go to SHSB! I wonder why that one was so popular?

So, it sounds like there won't be a pass/fail on the day, then-but will indeed be a mark and then the higher over 303, the greater the chance you have of securing a place. If you have under 303-there will be NO point in putting down any grammars on your list of 5-yes?

I just want to know now! :roll:
Manana, That is my understanding of it.

303+ go for the grammars, less than 303 just go for favourite non-grammar.

Some well informed confirmation would be great though please...... :)
moved

Post by moved »

Below 303 look at St. Bernard's, St Thomas More, Shoebury or Cecil Jones for consortium places.

St Thomas More does require a letter from a priest and an additional SIF even for selective places; St Bernard's does not.

I believe that WHSB has also been oversubscribed in the distant past. The balance should be more even this year as the Westcliff schools have usually had more applicants from outside the old catchment.

SHSG was unable to fill all of its places last year, so 303 would still look good as out of catchment or in catchment could both attend as long as they scored 303.
purplegirl

Post by purplegirl »

What I've been told is this: on 15th, the CSSE will tell us if DC is likely, possibly or very unlikely to be offered a place, (a bit like traffic lights!) How they can work that out? They don't know who is applying to which school, so it's beyond my understanding. If you have a fantastic score then I can understand you will be "likely" to be offered a place. (Wouldn't that be a wonderful thing to happen.) But the catchment boundaries are changing for Southend and Chelmsford schools, so it's difficult to predict how that's going to change things. So if on the 15th you're told "possibly" then you be in limbo! I'm hoping the information on the 15th will be useful, but until you get an actual offer of a place in March , you're going to be on tenterhooks!
purplegirl

Post by purplegirl »

:shock: I don't know about any one else, but I'm getting really jittery about the 15th. I'm looking forward to the day, but also at the same time dreading it. A real case of double thinking! It would be such a relief if I'm given the equivillant of a green light and told that DD is likely to be offered a place. BUT... Will I be left in limbo land? with just the potential that I may possibly be allocated a place? Will I have to wait until March, or even later to get a place? Or my absolute nightmare that they say my DD is unsuitable for GS and is unlikely to be offered a place. I just hope so much that the 15th brings good news. I think I'm going to have a glass of red tonight!
Manana

Post by Manana »

I also wonder if they'll give you 'school specific' advice!? Will they say that 'with that score, if you want to go to SHSB, you are likely to get a place, but if you are thinking of KEGS or CRGS, then get stuffed!!'
purplegirl

Post by purplegirl »

I really hope it's school specific advice, and it would be good if it reflected catchments too. However I'm not sure if the info given will be that detailed. They could give advice based on previous years scores, but with all the upheavals in catchment changes, I'm not sure how relevant this will be. If CSSE don't know what schools everyone is applying to, how can they make the advice school specific? I suppose they may assume that people within catchment are all applying for that school and offer advice accordingly. But if you are applying out of catchment or to a Colchester school, then its difficult to know how then can offer advice.....I've decided to skip the glass of wine, its a cup of tea instead!