Freezer safe food containers

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
brentfordmum

Freezer safe food containers

Post by brentfordmum »

Hi all,
I cook during the weekends and store food in the freezer for the rest of the week. I'm confused about what would be the safest containers to store them in. I tried googling it, but still confused :(

I heard plastic is not good because of chemicals leaching into the food.
I thought of stainless steel but i've heard u're not supposed to put food in metal containers in the freezer.

Any thoughts?
hermanmunster

Re: Freezer safe food containers

Post by hermanmunster »

Not sure about plastic containers being a problem - suppose it might depend on what type? Ice Cream containers should be OK!
Pumpkin Pie

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

Most good stores sell plastic containers which STATE whether they are suitable for home freezing. I personally use freezer bags for everything. Come in all sizes and you can get some that are suitable for soups, stews etc. Old ice-cream containers sound like a good idea!
brentfordmum

Post by brentfordmum »

Thanks fo the replies, so I guess I can continue with plastic containers.
Samlet

Post by Samlet »

I think the leaching problem comes with heating boxes in the microwave - wherever possible I let food defrost naturally, or pop it on a plate if defrosting/cooking in a microwave.

The other story which I have heard (from someone translating a debate on this in the European Parliament - so presumably not a complete fantasy) is that you shouldn't endlessly reuse plastic water bottles (the ones water is sold in). They aren't meant to last and start leaching chemicals into the water.
doodles

Post by doodles »

I always use freezer bags, they tend to be less unwieldy and take up less space in the freezer. I use them for soups and sauces and have never had a problem.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I buy those foil containers with cardboard lids. One of the advantages is that they stack well together. Of course they can't go in a microwave.
scary mum
Amber

Post by Amber »

Samlet wrote: The other story which I have heard (from someone translating a debate on this in the European Parliament - so presumably not a complete fantasy) is that you shouldn't endlessly reuse plastic water bottles (the ones water is sold in). They aren't meant to last and start leaching chemicals into the water.
Cancer Research UK has refuted these claims. Still, it is a bit gross to re-use them, isn't it? They go all green and manky.
http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/cancer- ... icbottles/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I re-use the plastic containers from chinese takeaways, they last for ages and stack brilliantly. You can also buy them from pound shops. they are the perfect size for soups and leftover casseroles and I then
use them for lunches or evenings when I really can;t be bothered cooking from scratch for myself
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

same here. the small ones do 1 portion and the deeper ones from special fried rice hold 2 portions. Since I work from home I end up having all sorts of leftovers for lunch and these are ideal.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now