A level Further Maths (with Maths or not?)

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
cam

A level Further Maths (with Maths or not?)

Post by cam »

My DS is currently choosing his A levels and considering Further Maths, but not Maths because 'it's covered anyway'. Does anyone have any suggestions/comments/experience? Many thanks, Cam.
hermanmunster

Re: A level Further Maths (with Maths or not?)

Post by hermanmunster »

I am not sure that it is possible to do Further Maths without maths ... at least have never known anyone do it! ...
Amber

Post by Amber »

No, I agree with Herman. I don't think you can do it without Maths. I think there is an expectation of high Mathematical ability even to consider it. And a love of Maths, clearly. :)

Someone told me you can do Additional Further Maths too. And maybe even Extra Additional Further Maths. And so on, to infinity...
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

No, am sure you can't do that! Maths A levels are modular: 3 get you an AS, 6 get you an A level, 12 get you A2's in Maths and Further Maths. Apart from the FP modules, any others would count towards a normal maths qualification first.
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

Re Additional Further Maths - I don't know what it's called, but my friend's son is going to end up doing 15 out of the 18 modules, so he'll have the equivalent of 2 1/2 maths a levels.
Amber

Post by Amber »

aliportico wrote:Re Additional Further Maths - I don't know what it's called, but my friend's son is going to end up doing 15 out of the 18 modules, so he'll have the equivalent of 2 1/2 maths a levels.
I thought I was joking about that one, though a friend's son does seem to have a frightening number of advanced level Maths qualifications. He has gone to study Chemistry at university for a bit of a change, I think.
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

There's S level as well, if it still exists!

The boy I mentioned wants to do physics at Cambridge :-) (And having just been reading the Oxbridge thread - he's at a comp. It is in Oxford though, and his dad is an Oxford fellow!)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

S level doesn't exist now but there the AEA - Advanced Extension Award.

You cannot do Further Maths on its own - Maths is C1, C2, C3 and C4 plus two Applied options Further Maths has its own modules plus some cross over ones.

Some students can take 3 A levels ie 18 modules, Maths, Further Maths, Additional Further Maths ...
solimum

Post by solimum »

My son also did 15 of the modules to end up with 2-and-a-half Maths A levels - he was encouraged by his teachers to do some modules "in his spare time" (the decision modules if I recall correctly). Following an Oxford maths degree he has just started a PhD in London, so that's probably enough Additional, Further, Advanced and Supplementary Maths for anyone!
Sallyltb

Post by Sallyltb »

The above posters are correct - you have to build up units and obtain qualifications sequentially, so you cannot obtain the Further Maths qualification until you have Maths.

My daughter has just started in Lower 6th and is doing nine units, therefore finishing eith Maths A2 and Further Maths AS levels. They offer this to the top mathematicians and add only one extra lesson a week (9 rather thn 8). She is studying the following units: C1, C2, C3, C4, M1, M2. S1, S2 and FP1.

I think that selection gives a really good overview of advanced maths, which will support students doing any one of a number of science related degrees.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now