Which VR & NVR books to buy please?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lincolnshire (Lincs)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Confused!

Which VR & NVR books to buy please?

Post by Confused! »

Hello,
I want to buy some VR & NVR books for my child.

So far I have the NFER VR & NVR Practice Papers in standard Format and Susan Daughtrey VR Technique & Practice 1 & 2.

We have done 1A NFER practice paper for VR & NVR and from this I have deduced he needs quite a bit more practice before attempting another paper (as I don't want to knock his confidence)

Please could you recommend which other books I can get to help improve his technique?

I am fairly good at VR myself but NVR is like a foreign language to me :oops: so any "How To" books would be good.

I have looked on Amazon but there are so many titles I don't know where to start so would prefer to go on recommendations.

Many thanks.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Have you looked at the books, cds and downloads on this site? They are very useful! Go back to home page and look down left hand side for caterories (useful resources good) or click on teh tabs above.

Otherwise waterstones stock some how to do verbal reasoning books or my fall back for almost everything google!
ANDREW THE POET

Post by ANDREW THE POET »

Hi there
Yes, it's a bit of a minefield out there in terms of the numbers of books available. I've stated the following before, but here's what I'd recommend.
For NON-VERBAL I haven't found anything that is as constructive as the following book on this site: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/books/list.php?ex=122 - there is a book 2 as well!
For VERBAL, I'd stick with those you have suggested AND the IPS papers. I wouldn't slog the papers to death at this stage, but use them to determine areas of weakness. Time management can be worked on nearer to September. Have a good look around this forum for ways to consolidate the skills needed for 11+ - these should be the focus of any preparation at the moment. My experience last year was that I bought every book available, but only used 20% of these - some are downright counter-productive, like the Athley series. THIS site is the best resource available. AND FINALLY .... download the software here. It's tough, but great preparation.
Sorry if I've repeated some of this before. Please do not feel that you have to agree with any of the above. It was my way of finding success last year with my son from a low starting point in July to a pleasing result in September.
GOOD LUCK. Remember .... 'a little often' is the best approach. We did an hour a day for 5 weeks. BRIBERY is always a good way of focusing a child's attention in readiness for work!
Confused!

Post by Confused! »

Thank you both for your replies.

Andrew, just checked out that link, and it take me to a VR book???
Please can you let me know the title of the NVR one please as I need to know the technique myself before attempting papers with my child.

Thank you.

Post by Guest »

PS I forgot to say - bribery???? :o No, I prefer to call it an "incentive"!! :lol:
ANDREW THE POET

Post by ANDREW THE POET »

Hi Confused .... I'll try again here. My eyesight is clearly playing up. However, the book I wanted to mention is published by the same folk as that in the original link. http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/books/ ... p?g=f&p=11

Hope this helps!
Andrew
Confused!

Post by Confused! »

Andrew, just wanted to say that those NVR books you recommended are a Godsend!
When I first loooked at a NVR paper myself I didn't have a clue and scored an abysmal 56%! :oops:
However, since going through your recommended books with my son I scored 85% on the last paper we did! :)
My son did even better! :D :lol:

He is not as good at VR, though.
Am I right in thinking that the scores of VR & NVR are combined to achieve a pass mark?
If so, I am hoping that what he lacks in VR he will make up in NVR.
At the moment I think he is a borderline candidiate. :(

Thanks.