Applying for place at CLSG from state school bursaries

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
TrinISam

Applying for place at CLSG from state school bursaries

Post by TrinISam »

Hi there,

Just wondered how your DD got on after two years at CLGS?

I am preparing my Year 5 daughter for 11+ exams and I am very interested in CLGS, I know the academic standard is high, as everyone else we can only try our best.

My daughter is an August born child but that doesn't hold her back at all, she is in the top sets for all subjects and is achieving above average, she attends a state school, just wanted to see what are chances are on gaining a place at CLGS?
Is the academic standard very high? Will we be competing so to speak with prep school educated girls? Will the fact my DD was educated at state school be taken into account?

Any information would greatly appreciated.... Would love to hear from anyone who's dd has recently sat an entrance exam coming from a state school and also would love to know how they were getting on??
NeedSomeSleep

Re: Applying for place at CLSG from state school bursaries

Post by NeedSomeSleep »

Hi

Our daughter has been at CLSG for a couple of years now, but she went to a prep school beforehand. Lots of her friends went to state schools, and it is very hard to tell those who did from those who didn't. Possibly the first term is a bit harder for those from state schools, as they have to get used to managing the homework requirements but other than that, once they've all settled in, it makes absolutely no difference. The girls who go to City seem to be quirky, hard-working, self-motivated, down to earth and friendly. The lessons move at a fast pace but my daughter, who is by no means one of the cleverest there, seems to enjoy that, even if she does get a bit stressed at times by the fact that "everyone is cleverer" than her.

So, yes, the academic standard is high, and some of the girls have an element of geek about them, but they seem to spend as much time laughing as they do working, as much time chatting on their phones as they do on their homework. There does seem to be a ridiculous amount of musically gifted girls, which is a bit scarey at times. And yes, as far as entrance is concerned, all girls are competing against each other and a lot of them will be from prep schools, where the whole point is to prepare them for the 11+. But as long as your daughter can score above the cut-off mark in the exams, which shouldn't be a problem if she is in the top sets at her school, then she has as much chance as anyone else in the interview stage, when she simply needs to be herself. The general cliche is that City know what they are looking for in a girl, and its not just about the exam result. Whether they take into account the fact she went to a state school, I don't know, but they will probably not expect her to be as "polished" in interview as some of the prep school girls who have, as I said, been prepared for the whole experience by their teachers. This is just my own unscientific impression but, if anything, I would say the girls who came from state schools are amongst the brighter girls in my daughter's class. And, again I have no evidence for this, but my feeling is City has a higher proportion of girls coming from state schools than many of the other London independents.

Generally, it is a wonderful school, I can't speak highly enough of it. The location is incredible, the girls come from all over the place, though mostly north London it seems, and are put in classes according to where they live, which helps with making friends. You will not meet a nicer bunch of girls, or a better set of teachers, and the head and deputy heads really know what they're doing. It's an inspirational school. If your daughter gets the chance to go there, grab it - assuming you feel it is an environment that suits her character.

Don't know if any of this actually answers your question, but I hope it helps. If you have any other questions, just ask.
Sue123

Post by Sue123 »

I think that Needsomesleep's post is excellent. Do look around other independent schools as well though. City is a great school and nearly everybody I have spoken to absolutely loves it - but it is not for everyone. I think that girls there need to be pretty feisty and confident to thrive in such an academic, competitive environment and some girls might be bright enough but not confident enough that makes sense. Having said that, they do seem to be good at picking out girls who will thrive in that sort of environment.
Re the music: it is true that the girls we know at CLSG are all very talented musicians - but they are taught outside the school.
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

CLSG is a great school and I have two dd's there. The other posters are right in that the school is fiercely academic but all the girls settle down and do well, as can be seen by the exam results. No girl educated in the state sector need worry as year 7 is all about bringing everyone up to speed and there are no exams at the end of that first year.

My dd's have settled in well, participate in lots of extra curricular activities, have friends from a variety of backgrounds and they all seem to rub along together. It's a great place for bright girls and I can't speak highly enough about the school. I have two dd's at other very high achieving schools and the standard of the work is very similar in that the girls are taught well beyond the national curriculum and no one is surprised by the results that these schools churn out year after year.
TrinISam

Post by TrinISam »

Thank you so much for your comments, they were spot on and some what inspirational, I have a true sixth sense about the school for my daughter, sounds like CLSG is the right school for her she is extremely determined, ambitious, hard working feisty, happy, quirky, creative and musical! Based on all your replies this difenantly sounds like she would fit right in, I just hope she can be given the opportunity.

My dd is currently being home tutored in math twice a week to prepare her for the 11+, we are still looking for an good English tutor but in the mean time we have concentrated on bonds books and doing lots of reading at any given opportunity.

I understand from your replies that the school is also musical, which is fantastic as my daughter is very musical and would enjoy any instrument given the opportunity, she is currently taking her grade 2 in piano, I know this doesn't cut the grade for a musical scholarship but the fact is, music is a passion for her and really think she will strive at this school in all aspects based on the feedback I have been given.

Is there additional information you feel may help us on our journey through preparation? What standards may we expect on the exams, I don't know many people that attend prep schools so its very hard to compare, but am I right in saying that children from the state sector are expected to be achieving two years above average?

Needsomesleep I found your post extremely helpful- Thank you all.
NeedSomeSleep

Post by NeedSomeSleep »

TrinISam

Regarding the standard required, you may well already be aware of this, but if you go to the CLSG website, they have the test papers for the last three or four years to download. Obviously, you wouldn't expect your daughter to be able to whizz through them yet, but it will give you an idea of the exam she will have to take in Year 6. This is the same exam used by all the schools in that consortium, such as Channing and North London Collegiate. This is the link http://www.clsg.org.uk/page/?title=admi ... %2B&pid=72" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now