off topic but piano teacher - Esher?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
menagerie

off topic but piano teacher - Esher?

Post by menagerie »

Hi

Sorry to hijack the Surrey board, but I am in serious need of a brilliant, vibrant piano teacher for DS, somewhere round Esher/Surbiton/Claygate/Dittons area. Can go to them or them to us, whatever suits.

If you are one or know of one, please email me.

I take it that 4 years of 30 mins a week at school to get an able and keen child to Gr1 pass (not even merit) , with notes like 'did first 4 bars, please learn rest of tune by next week' suggest someone who has no enthusiasm for the job? DS's teacher constantly expects me to teach the bulk of his pieces, and as I scarcely read music and have no grades in any instrument, we rely on me learning from the internet then him learning what I learned which is slow and unpredictable. She does, amusingly, tick me off in his teacher-parent notes for teaching the rhythm, fingering or counting wrong at times - but what can I do? I'm not supposed to be the teacher. Surely I shouldn't have the privilege of also paying a teacher £20+ a week on top of that?

We are several hundred pounds lighter for her dismal input and I've had enough.

Rant over. Advice very much appreciated.
Last edited by menagerie on Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
suzanne

Re: off topic but piano teacher - Esher?

Post by suzanne »

You are quite right to change teacher. Sorry I can't recommend one in your area but maybe if you contact (Kingston Music Service) they might suggest one for you?

Have you thought of an orchestral instrument instead?

My kids all started off with piano and carried on til grade 5 but now prefer to concentrate on instruments they can take part in orchestra or wind band.
trisca

Post by trisca »

ABC Music shop by Waitrose in Esher gives out lists of all piano (and all other instruments) teachers in the area.
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

Trisca - Thank you! I hadn't thought of that. I have seen that shop and not been in. There's also the gorgeous music shop in Kingston where we spend far too much time and money. They might have advice too. But Esher's nearer to home. Will try them first. Great tip.

Suzanne, thanks for the suggestion but we're not in Kingston borough. Current tutor is the local one recommended by Surrey so can't really go to them and ask for someone as they already have her on board. She is a really lovely woman, too. I like her enormously. She's very kind and gentle and she plays piano so well. Just... not sure that teaching comes naturally to her.

I'd love DS to play a wind instrument. I have been suggesting it erm keenly for years :D . But he adores piano. And he's good. Hard to believe when it's taken him 4 years to get a pass at Gr 1 but he is really enthusiastic and loves music. With the right teacher, he will play well, I think, at least to grade 5. Once all his exams are over, I'll suggest sax again. It's the only wind he'll consider. Fond desire for him to play trumpet is on hold.