Out of area

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
flybee

Out of area

Post by flybee »

Hi,

My daughter is in year 5 and preparing for 11+ exams.We live in North wales.

Anybody has an idea which schools will offer a place if she passes 11+.Looked at the admission policies for each of the schools and they all seems to have different admission criteria.

Thanks in advance.
Pumpkin Pie

Re: Out of area

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

You've posted this in the Trafford Forum, is this where you are hoping to send her? Seems a little far if it is?
flybee

Post by flybee »

Yes,we will consider a house move if she gets a place.My husband works in north Manchester and i work in north wales ......
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

The schools do, indeed, all have different criteria for admission. I am not familiar with all the criteria for every secondary school in Trafford, but I am sure that the vast majority, if not all, use distance to determine at least part of their intake and North Wales would be way too far away to get a place. The Trafford schools are all incredibly popular due to their great results nationally.

If you look at the grammar schools in particular then you have one potential option which is Sale Grammar. It's a co-ed grammar and it admits a large part of its intake from its catchment area (where, to qualify, kids just need to pass the exam). If there are spare places left after it has allocated to the catchment kids then it allocates its remaining places according to high score. So even if you live in Timbuktu, let alone North Wales, if you score extremely highly, you would have more chance of getting a place than someone who lives in Chester but only got the passmark.

(For the sake of completeness, and any other interested person reading this thread, I must also mention Altrincham Grammar for Boys which allocates on exactly the same basis as Sale, although its catchment is much smaller. This isn't helpful to you, though, since your daughter would need a quick sex change as well as a high score :D)

Have you looked at the Wirral Grammars?
flybee

Post by flybee »

I have looked at the wirral grammers and they also consider catchment area pupil when they are oversubsricbed.

She might get a place in westcurby grammer ,but i am looking for more options.I have read in trafford threads some where sale grammer is unable to fill all the places last year and that gave me little hope.
Aurorasaab

Post by Aurorasaab »

I have been told that there were 23 places allocated on appeal at Sale GS this year (ie. to start Sept 2012). This is a larger number than usual. I was also told that the reason the intake was initially smaller was something to do with accomodation changes. This is all hearsay of course, so may not be accurate. However, it's not really a case them not being able to fill the places. I honestly cannot see them allocating a place to someone in North Wales. You would be better moving into the catchment area of a good local comprehensive, or moving to Trafford first.
determineddaddy

Post by determineddaddy »

Moving house after you have received a successful exam result is difficult for lots of reasons, believe me as someone still licking the wounds from having done this last year.

If you are going to move I would say that it would be less stressful for all concerned if you move before even applying.
flybee

Post by flybee »

Thank you for your replies determineddaddy and Aurorasaab.We are thinking about the house move now .If we move the house before applying for the exams,Do we need to sell our current house?I may be asking a silly question but when i am reading admission policies i didn't understand exactly what they are saying and I am not sure i can call LEA regading this.
madsdad

Post by madsdad »

Last edited by madsdad on Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flybee

Post by flybee »

Thank you madsdad.